10 years ago today, a miracle run completed

4 Likes

3 Likes

And…five more years of dark days before finally turning the corner.

We have come a long way. It’s amazing how much fun it has been watching the program grow from dismal to respectable to perennially dominating.

1 Like

Would hardly call it a miracle run.
An underachieving and veteran team who should have competed for the title but finished 7th. They played hard and beat a couple average teams like USM and UTEP.
I was so happy at that time to be in the dance but that team only played like they should have been
Much more of a miracle when Ray Mcs team beat memphis twice at the end of the season and lost a competitive game to Dewayne Wade’s Marquette team in the tournament. CUSA basketball wasoaded in those days.

2 Likes

Better uniforms then. :unamused:

That utep game was epic…I remember there were a couple times in that game I thought we were done. But then kelvin Lewis and adam brown went off the final 3 minutes and we forced turnovers. We just went on a furious run the few final minutes of that game!

2 Likes

The sad thing is that the football program has backtrack since the Herman years.

2 Likes

Yep herman just had the right fit and personality to be successful here…well see what holgorsen has got. These next couple years will be telling.

Is a year and a half considered “years”?
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Football backtracked his second year. Obvious to me that his “approach” couldn’t be maintained.

4 Likes

Does Penders still attend our games? I haven’t heard anyone bring him up in that regard lately.

He went at a game this season. Someone tweeted a picture of him with Pallilo.

Edit: found it

https://twitter.com/gocoogs1/status/1217647842678001665?s=20

4 Likes

Herman’s 2nd year is the most disappointing in program’s history.
We took two top 5 programs to the woodshed but blew other games to bad teams like SMU and a Navy team we should have whipped

1 Like

Coach Penders is looking a bit emaciated. Is his health OK?

1 Like

Yep, that is what happens when your coach is looking to leave and everyone (read players) know it !!

See CUSA championship game in Sumlin’s a$m footsie game.

2 Likes

Penders lives up Northeast. But his son coaches H.S. Basketball in Friendswood, so he comes down during season to watch few gms, along with coming over to UH to see Coogs!

1 Like

The Hair is classic!

2 Likes

Penders looked like that when he coached here

1 Like

Tom could’ve easily been bitter about his exit here…but he left in a very classy way and has continued to show class and support in regards to the UH basketball program. I wish there was a better way to keep him involved in the program. He has been a huge proponent of ours and often defends our status among current day basketball powers. I wish he could’ve been more successful here…but I’ll give him credit of maintaining the program during a real down period for UH basketball.

Phil Spector can only wish his hair was as awesome as Tom’s. lulz

10 Likes

Given all the disadvantages we had, Tom making 1 NCAA, 2 NITs, and 2 CBIs over 6 years was a pretty solid accomplishment, even though it was time to move on.

Moving on from him to hire another SWC retread who had less success back then than Penders (though an incredibly nice guy) was exceptionally bizarre, though.

3 Likes