#12 Houston vs Western Kentucky 2/25 6PM CST on ESPN2 (W 81-57)

Tickets are already in my wallet. Nice job by the ticketing powers.

4 Likes

We will NOT lose at the FC !

EE…I hope you are right. My concern is that after an lopsided win, we then to lose soon afterwards.

1. We had lopsided wins against Alcorn State and Temple only to lose to Tulsa one week later.

2. We had lopsided wins against Tulane and SMU only to lose to ECU.

3. We had lopsided wins against OLLU and USF only to lose to WSU.

4. We had a lopsided win against Cincy. ???

Admittedly we lost those 3 games on the road, but our schedule indicates lopsided wins tend to end in disappointment. Hopefully a home game against WKU will have a different result.

just bored and watched a few wku games

a biggest matchup problem entering the game

• no one on our roster can guard bassey one on one… both WKU’s 4s areextremely skilled, arguably their best 2 shooters…wku offense lines up 1 through 4 at the 3 pt line and leaves bassey in the middle/post…we are gong to forced to leave bassey alone in the post or leave a 42% 3pt shooter open on the 3pt line…figuring out an effective defense on this will decide the game if they arent in foul trouble…

• bassey also regularly comes out to the 3pt line to take 3s (at 34%), him shooting the 3 isnt the biggest issue there, its the floor spacing. he makes it well enough that you have to respect it to defend, clearing driving lanes cause our center will be outside the post …their guards can drive and shoot but i think our defense can handle it pretty well, if the bassey dynamic wasnt there

• their defense is also based around bassey and using him as a post scoring deterrent… his shot blocking and shot altering skills are elite, but also he has a fear factor that make not many want to go up with him. They are 50/50 man and zone. they have 1 really good perimeter defender in josh anderson…all their other guards are short

quick takes: getting bassey in foul trouble would completely change the game… no one else on their team taller than 6’7 outside of him (he is 6’11 240)… but he rarely ever gets in foul trouble, so not something to bank on, only wvu limited his minutes by fouls (but then again theyve never played a team as physical as us)…getting anderson in foul trouble also a plus, no other guard taller than 6’2 (he’s 6’6)

would not be shocked to see us run some zone on defense …if bassey isnt in foul trouble this isnt the game to be cold from 3… i think we can get alof of drive and kick 3s and lots of mid ranges

im honestly not worried about anything outside of the bassey dynamic… sellout on him or leave others open, or leave him 1 on1 to score alot and shut everyone else down…if you take bassey out of the equation, nothing else too worrisome on the roster

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from, but you cited the three examples that exist since we have only lost 3 out of 21 games. I think that on the season we are very consistent & with the added depth from Fabian I think we will be more consistent!

Great point, I bet that was part of CKS motivation making this matchup happen!

Good point. Consider my post to be a cautionary tale.

Being on the road is the key…but anything is possible.

Coach is still mad we lost to Wichita. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7-1 after 20+ wins.

2 Likes

According to your proposed pattern, then we SHOULD beat WKU.

Alcorn State (Win) Temple (Win) - Tulsa (Loss)
Tulane (Win) SMU (Win) - ECU (Loss)
OLLU (Win) USF (Win) - WSU (Loss)
Cincy (Win) WKU (-----) - USF (-----)

I guess it’s the USF game that we should be worried about. lol

3 Likes

THE VERDICT:
It may not be a blowout, but a double-digit margin of victory is in the forecast here. Houston 74.82, W. Kentucky 60.57.

1 Like

It’s going to be interesting to see how we handle their big man Bassey. Listed as 6’11” and 235lbs. Averages nearly 18 points, 13 rebounds, and 3.5 blocks per game. What I’ve read about him he seems like he’s gonna be a challenge. Projected mid to late 1st round in the draft.

We’ll see how good our 3 pt. Game is with Grimes and Sasser. If they are on, then we’ll win, simply because their big guy inside can’t stop us from shooting from a distance.

Fair enough. My point is that we can’t take future contests for granted after beating up on hapless teams. It’s hard to view Cincy in that category.

I’ll be interested to see if CKS gives the green light for a faster pace again.

PSJ spent a lot of time practicing playing at a fast pace.

By way of example, I recall watching some of Guy V’s drills where the guys were asked to run a series of full length of the court fast breaks without ever putting the ball on the floor. There was no dribbling allowed - they had to constantly pass the ball. (As CKS has said, it starts with defensive rebounding.)

We saw what this looked like in live game action against Louisville at the Final Four in Albuquerque.

1 Like

According to the interview posted by HRR, it is definitely greenlighted. Sampson said we made an effort to play faster.

1 Like

I’m glad we have let the team run when able. It made yesterday’s game enjoyable. I love the way Mark and Jarreau jet down the court.
Mark reminds me of a young Drexler.
And having Fabian back more than cancels out Mills leaving. I really hope he is back next year!

1 Like

Young?