6th in Final AP Poll

If I’m Shaka Smart I’ll be doing a Herman… Lol. Basically calling around as his stock is up again. It’s just hard to win in Texas consistently because it’s a football :football: school and that’s it. He’s lucky to have a solid senior pg and 4th year starter. He got several players who are seniors and that Andrew Jones stick around because of health issues or he would of been gone by now. Also got a top 10 recruit to stay home and turn down a G League contract.

Not to worry…a highly reliable source told me that if we win the rest of our games this season, we’ll finish at #1.

7 Likes

Barnes and Penders went to the tourney 23 out of 26 years. Shaka had numerous offers at schools with big programs and chose Texas for a reason.

How many Final Fours ?

So by that rationale Sampson should be calling around to see if Wichita State, VCU, Butler, etc. are willing to hire him?

This has nothing to do with coach Sampson or UH which is a basketball :basketball: school.

But Texas coach Shaka Smart was about to be fired but on his 6th season he caught some breaks where he has his team in the top 5. It’s not a blue blood school or close to it.

UT has had ALOT more success than UH in hoops over the last 30 years for UH to be a basketball school and UT to not be one.

Shaka will probably get a nice extension now. Sampson’s seat was probably a year or two away from getting warm without a tourney appearance too.

I’m not arguing that it would be smart for Shaka to turn down Kentucky, Duke, Kansas or UNC if they came calling. But Herman was floating his resume to South Carolina, not Bama and Ohio State.

I’m sorry but if you think it would be smart for Shaka to look around and didn’t think Sampson should have done the same you have to make some pretty dubious logical leaps.

Barnes lasted there 17 years and Penders lasted there 9 and largely brought his firing on himself. It’s not some impossible gig to last at.

Oh man Texas will never be a basketball school just like A&M. UH on the other hand because our football hasn’t been good in a minute and have an impossible road to the college football playoff is a basketball school due to their success.
Sampson >>> Smart

1 Like

We at least agree on this!

1 Like

I don’t know how each voter evaluates their rankings. If any of them base it on a team’s resume and talent, the loss of Mills could’ve had an effect on our ranking.

That’s the way to look at it. This was going to be a tough slog either way. We could start low and climb up, start in the middle and hold our own, or start high and move up and down.

Just stay in the top 10 most of the season and I’m happy as Hell.

11th is fine.

We all knew we were going to take a hit with Tulsa. Great rebound with SMU.

1 Like

Of course this board has the resident idiots who complain no matter what and I believe some boneheads were complaining after his second season, but Sampson took over a poop show. Smart took over a much better situation at texas and deserved the heat he was receiving.

8 Likes

Totally agree.

I think you meant to say “Given the history of the poll voters and their propensity to favor the so called P5 leagues”…

1 Like

5 teams ahead of UH lost this week. Good chance UH moves up in top 8, if not back to #6

1 Like

Assuming UH beats UCF.

1 Like

#9 if they win, no chance above #8.

Apologies if this has been posted, but:

They’re changing the bracketing system for this year’s tourney, and not considering geography in the team seeding.

With some teams ahead of UH in the polls losing to lower or unranked teams, I get nervous that the same could happen to the Coogs. Gotta get my positivity vibe going.

1 Like