16 Team Playoff with 10 Auto-bids

Most years there would be first and second round upsets…any given Saturday.
And to the talent gap argument…that closes over time when everyone says they can play for an NC. Right now the big barrier to recruiting is that tOSU or UT, or even Baylor says that they can play for an NC, you can’t do that at Houston.

2 Likes

The P5 will add UConn like they added Utah. Problem solved. Unless Blumenthal really wants to go to bat for all G5, he would be bought off just like Orrin Hatch was

2 Likes

A lot of ADs at the G5 won’t speak out due to fear of being blackballed. For every UCF Ad there are 50 who want say anything for fear of not moving to the Power 5. Strength comes in numbers

2 Likes

Ok. Tell which P5 conference is going to take UCONN? The ACC already had its chance and passed. B1G? They’re not AAU and it’s not a contiguous state. That leaves the SEC, PAC-12 or Big 12-2. Doubtful.

I can’t say which one will, but the networks will make sure someone does. Far cheaper to pay full P5 money to just 1 extra school than a whole lot of them.

1 Like

Life is not fair. The better teams are better. A sixteen team playoff will lead to some pretty miserable football games. Unwatchable in most years.

Yep. Once in a while there will be a miracle.

I will guarantee you. Repeat, I will guarantee you that UH will be on the losing side of any miracle game for that is always our destiny.

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer on New Years Day but do you really think we can compete with Ohio State and LSU on a regular basis.

We are what we are. That doesn’t mean we give up. We just do better each year and perhaps our grandchildren’s grandchildren will make it.

2 Likes

I can’t say which one will, but the networks will make sure someone does. Far cheaper to pay full P5 money to just 1 extra school than a whole lot of them.

You’re assuming we’d be the lowest seed, which I doubt. Main reason I watch the first round of the ncaa basketball tourney is the possibility of first round upsets. I’m sure many would tune in to see the same in some football playoff (remember Boise St vs Oklahoma? How glorious would that have been as a first round game).

16 is too many and honestly outside of the top 8 I don’t see how the others should be invited. But again it is still an invitational and that’s a problem… I think. The CFP wants the best of the best and I can’t see how the CUSA champion should beat out the #9 team in the nation (I highly doubt the CUSA champ is ranked any higher).

:thinking:

1 Like

Given the same resources NY, I would say yes! And they know it. Why keep money from everyone when mighty LSU and Ohio State is too good. Shoot, we competed with LSU when Helton was coach, same money and resources, we can do it again!!!

2 Likes

Resources! Also known as money.

I will submit to you that our biggest mistake was not joining the SEC when we had the chance. If that legend was true.

Instead we waited for the SWC like a poor second cousin once removed.

2 Likes

Allow me to whine my Coogs. The current CFB set-up is pure 100% bs. I know it is what it is but it’s still a crock. March Madness and the CWS are magical times, why CFB doesn’t embrace that is about one thing and one thing only, pure greed/$$$$$. Sure the results would mainly remain the same…BUT…occasionally miracles happen, the beauty of sport. Coastal Carolina won the CWS a few years back, took down the big boys on a shoe-string budget…why ? because they earned the chance to play in the dance and won it all. And we know all too well what happened in MBB in the past. TU and TAMU pull in over $220M per year while UH is at $55M. Obviously at that pace there is no way to keep up. CFB is on the verge of basically NFL Lite. If it gets to that just pay the players and be done with…there will be plenty of schools and fans who just drop it down a notch and embrace the true spirit and joy of real college sport. The $$$ is just getting plain stupid. When the HC is the highest paid state employee things are way out of whack. Now get off my grass …rant over :slight_smile:

Happy New Years to all !

1 Like

We can’t dwell on the past but we can learn from it. What did we learn? When getting a chance to compete in a P5 we immediately dominated.
Was it a fluke?
Was it due to luck?
Was it due to a good schedule?
We were invited in 1976
We won in 1976 (shared title)
We won in 1978
We won in 1979
We won in 1984 (shared title)
How many Schools do you know of did dominate a P5 as soon as they were invited? I am still trying to find one.
Which School suffered the most during these Championships years? uta
Yes friends for anyone on this website that questions how competitive we would be each season clearly has no sense of history, our own history.

Why did uta came crying and crawling to the ncaa do you think?
Why aren’t we in a P5 yet?

What is the definition of obvious?

obvious

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.

ob·vi·ous

(ŏb′vē-əs)

adj.

1. Easily perceived or understood; apparent. See Synonyms at apparent.

2. Easily seen through because of a lack of subtlety; transparent: an obvious political ploy that fooled no one.

[From Latin obvius, from obviam, in the way, within reach : ob-, against ; see ob- + viam, accusative sing. of via, way ; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.]

ob′vi·ous·ly adv.

ob′vi·ous·ness n.

It is 2020. Let’s concentrate at beating every opponent with the widest margin possible.Yes I see it as a positive that an Apple company is looking at getting into the broadcasting rights. This might be what the doctor ordered. IMO a complete realignment of FBS DIV I conferences is what can/could save College Football.

2 Likes

https://giphy.com/gifs/xT9DPxPZnDcBMX6tAk

1 Like

Perfect !!!

1 Like

We don’t need to compete every year. But the teams in the G5 will have a chance to narrow the recruiting gap by being able to participate in a playoff. You already have BSU and SDSU beating PAC 12 powers (seems almost regular). We tend to beat Big 12 teams with regularity. MAC, SBC and CUSA trip up good programs every so often with their talent.
Senior talent, with a great coach, in a good year can win three in a row to make it to the big game. Just give the time for recruiting.

Boise has a winning record against PAC 12 teams so they are holding their own.

the big 12 has 21 wins and only 7 losses against AAC teams so we do not tend to beat the big 12 with any regularity.

1 Like

Coogs only 1-3 last 4 yrs against Big12. We know who the Win was against.

1 Like

That would be a true playoff, something the other divisions of college football and basketball get. The P5 hacks would tell you that the G5s don’t belong because of the level of competition they face (There’s some truth there) BUT how they account for basketball? Sam Houston St doesn’t face the level of competition that Duke does but they have a path. The G5s in football have no path.

2 Likes

I forgot I posted something to stir the pot… my bad!

Too late for me to answer everything but like others have said, 16 teams might have an upset, but more than likely it would have some miserable matchups.

I know conference champs deserve the right, but don’t overreact, people gave us a change against FSU. But don’t stretch that to people wanting to see the 8-5 Miami Redhawks play LSU.

You keep using the talent gap to support your argument against fair access to post season play, but won’t acknowledge the reason for the talent gap in the first place. It’s fair to assume that if every D1 conference champ had access to a national title, the talent gap would become less of a factor as more top rated prospects might opt to go to a Boise or North Texas and start instead of riding the bench at Alabama because all they have to do is win their conference. No one talks about p5/g5 in basketball or baseball because they autobid their championship tournaments and upsets happen all the time.

6 Likes