#17 in Ken Pom ratings

Widely recognized as one of the best computer ratings system out there! We are currently ranked 17 which would make our COOGS a 5 seed! To me after watching ever game this year, a 5 seed seems more accurate. When you have a committee there is bias ( power 5, this conf. vs that one, losing conf. record still making it in). Even the “Net” seems to have bias in it. Where would you hanestly seed us right now? I say 5!

4 Likes

i say 7 or 8. I really want to have 5/6 so we can avoid #1 seed in second round lol

5 Likes

I say 5 now 4 if we finish in the top 15 and win our conf tourney.

We’ve had some mental loses BYU, Cincy, Tulsa… cmon. We should be 22-2 seriously.

3 Likes

I would say 6 is what I an hoping for. If we somehow win out obviously it could be higher. But the way our schedule pans out I think we are most likely going to drop a couple games the rest of the way.
Quadrant Records
Q1: 2-3
Q2: 7-2
Q3:6-0
Q4: 5-0

Remaining Schedule
@SMU (Q1)
Tulsa (Q3)
@Memphis (Q1)
Cinci (Q2)
@Uconn (Q1) -barely
Memphis (Q2)

1 Like

KenPom is great as a predictive metric, however seeding should be based off a teams actual resume. KenPom only cares about offensive and defensive efficiency and it treats a close win about the same as a close loss.That’s how 14-11 Purdue wound up rated #19 in his system, which would also be a 5 seed, and 22-2 Auburn is #32. The NET ranking also uses efficiency but factors in actual wins and losses too.

1 Like

When I look at ESPN Matchup Predictor, they have us winning out in the AAC ( closest margin vs. @ UCONN).If we did that we would be 26-5. and at least get to the finals of AAC tournament, then I think 5 seed is realistic!

4 Likes

Yeah I saw that too. Hell if we win out we could be a 3 again. I just have a really hard time seeing us do that is all. SMU always gives us a hard time. UCONN will be tough. At Memphis with that crowd with their tourney hopes on life support will be tough too

1 Like

You make some good points, but the bias that comes along with humans can really screw things up. Example: most commentators think that the Big East is superior to the AAC ( 3 ranked in top 25). One of our middle of our conf. teams UCONN lost by 2 @ Villanova. I know we only beat UConn by 4 at home, but to me that makes the case for equality! These is long seated perceptions that comm. members have is what concerns me. Breaking it down stats like you get with Ken Pom ratings had some objectivity!

1 Like

There might be some bias inherent on Coogfans too…:grin:

4 Likes

Only when it comes to the football team we are way more levelheaded over here. I’ll leave it at that.

2 Likes

Dan…I normally agree with you 100% of the time. But this time, I gotta say…

in-game levelheadedness has a direct inverse relationship to perceived imminently required head coaching changes and dirty lowdown referee behavior.

And usually, after a bad game exhale, the levelheadedness returns. :wink:

(I think the math works out on that.)

2 Likes

I read somewhere we’re a 7. Pretty cool that we’re working our way back.

Thank you Coach Sampson, staff, admin…

Thank you players, family…

It feels great!!!

1 Like

Path of least resistance to final four will be 6 or 7 if we cannot be 2 or 3. We do not want to be 4,5 8, and 9.

Last year it was the opposite where Net Rating had us very high all year n at least 1-2 seeds higher than KenPom to the positive. At one point Net had UH as high as #3 or #4 in the nation.The actual seeding ended being the middle. So if we go with that I can see them #6Seed rt now. I’m hoping for at least a 5 seed n worse case 7 seed when all said n done. Have to finish no worse than 4-2 these last 6 gms.

1 Like