19-20 season:Men’s college basketball 3-point line extended to international distance

“The rule will be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Due to the potential financial impact of placing a new line on courts, the new 3-point line will go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II and III.”

4 Likes

This is good. Should open up more driving lanes.

5 Likes

Andy Katz has Memphis preseason at #4 and UH at #29. Thinks that a couple of others in the American out of Cincinnati, UConn, UCF and USF will also make the tourney. We need to have 4-5 teams in the American make it into the dance each year.

4 Likes

Agreed. Also will help prepare players for pro leagues. It doesn’t make sense that there’s barely any change to the line between high school and college, and then a huge jump once they get to professional leagues.

3 Likes

It will be also interesting to see what this does to players’ shooting percentages during the next couple of years. There will be a greater premium on players who can hit the longer shot at a 37+% clip.

1 Like

Gonna miss you, Armoni…

6 Likes

NIT has been using that distance and the 3pt avg went from 35% reg season to 33% with the longer distance. Although it’s much smaller sample size.

3 Likes

F, yeah :sob::sob::sob:

It will also be interesting to see who on our team will be able to hit the longer shot. As others have mentioned, Armoni certainly would have. But outside of him, we have a huge question mark. And if it turns out that we have no one to reliably hit the shot, what does Sampson do to adjust?

1 Like

They’re also making a change to the shot clock, it will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive board.

1 Like

No one thats proven.

Don’t like this in the NBA or NCAA. We are a big offensive rebounding team and you should be rewarded with a fresh clock when you get an offensive board.

4 Likes

Agreed! If they really want to speed the game up/shorten game length, then stop allowing a free throw shooter to “give five” to each teammate, the cheer squad, the mascot and grad assistants after each free throw. This rule should be implemented in the NBA also.

5 Likes

Yep, this one will never make sense to me. Why should the defense be rewarded for failing to get a rebound? It’s like the half the distance to the goal rule in football. A team should not be penalized or rewarded based purely on how close they are to the goal. Put the dang ball at the 1 yard line!

2 Likes

I don’t think the shot clock reset is such a big deal. Twenty seconds is more than enough time to reset an offense and run a set. Sure, it eliminates your opportunity to kill an extra ten seconds of clock, but I’m fine with that.

I wouldn’t mind it if there was a legitimate reason for it. It doesn’t speed up the game because the game clock is not affected, so I really don’t know what they’re trying to accomplish here other than possibly creating more scoring by forcing more shots. This just seems really pointless to me and has the unwanted effect of rewarding the defense (even if only slightly) for no apparent reason.

Next we need to switch all high schools to the FIBA distance. Other countries have kids growing up with just one 3 point line.

I’m fine with high school distance as it is. The focus should be on player development. The mechanics of a jump shot between the distances are the same, but I think forcing players to shoot from too great a distance when they’re too young will lead towards them developing bad habits. A lot of the power behind shooting is coming from your lower body, and kids in high school are still filling into their frames. I think a lot of 16 year olds would start trying to fling the ball at the rim if they were forced to shoot at FIBA distance.

1 Like

You would need good coaching and there would be an adjustment period for sure. I think we are getting into a time where it wont be a big change since so many kids are already taking deep 3s trying to be like Curry and others (that is probably more likely to hinder good form). I’ve seen it first hand in other countries though, they are better shooters across the board at a younger age because of growing up with the FIBA line.

1 Like

It will definitely cause changes to strategies. Right now, teams have to weigh the value of going after offensive boards vs getting into transition defense. With the decreased value of the rebound we can expect more teams to opt to get back. This will probably lead to an increase in zone defenses, as rebounding is a weakness in the zone. It mirrors a change the NBA made this past season where teams only get a 14 second clock after an offensive board. It also matches the already implemented change to a 20 second clock coming out of a foul. I’m on the fence about it, will wait to see how it plays out.