19-20 season:Men’s college basketball 3-point line extended to international distance

The value of offensive rebounds are never minimized. I don’t understand that line of thinking

3 Likes

Part of it is a mental game. How many times last year did we miss a shot, get an offensive board, take the shot clock down to 2 seconds, miss again, get another offensive board, get it out to Galen at the top of the key and tick off another 25 seconds. During that time we are expending little energy and the defense is raging mad at themselves because they’ve stopped us twice and there we are still with the ball.

Now we get less time to get in their heads, it makes a difference.

1 Like

I didn’t say minimized, I said decreased. An offensive rebound was worth a 30 second possession, it is now worth a 20 second possession. 30 seconds of ball control is more valuable than 20 seconds of ball control. Therefore, the value of offensive rebounds has decreased.

2 Likes

It actually favors our style a bit. Our guys charge the board on the shot…3-4-5 guys converging all at once. This will make for longer rebounds…playing into the guards’ hands.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the shorter clock on the reset, but I like college at 30 seconds for the normal shot clock. That said, any shorter clocks will benefit our defense. If there was a stat for defenses forcing a bad shot at the end of the shot clock, pretty sure we would have been near the top of the nation.

1 Like

Better recruit some foreign players ASAP.

I don’t like following European basketball for nothing. :unamused:

It may help prepare players for pro leagues but this rule can’t be for that purpose seeing as they are doing it for all divisions and 99% of college basketball players never play professionally. They gave reasons and I believe this to be true.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

* Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
* Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
* Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

Yeah, I agree that wasn’t the purpose behind the rule. Just was pointing out a benefit for some of the players that will go through our system who will go on to play professionally.

1 Like

could also keep players around an extra year that have to work a little more on NBA/international range.

1 Like