1983 Cougar Basketball Team

Great win today. I see great things for CKS’s group in the tourney. Watching today’s game the thought crossed mind: Could the 2021 Cougars have given the '83 Coogs a game? Could they beat them?
Maybe I am prejudiced but I am doubtful we will ever field a team comparable to Phi Slamma Jama.

This year’s team is one of the best sports teams this University has ever produced no matter what sport.

BUT it is not as good as 83!!! That team had two of the greatest basketball players of all time on it with a support cast of multiple 1st round NBA draft picks.

83 was special, but alas we didn’t win. Maybe this team does win the Natty.

11 Likes

That '83 team would destroy this team (and this is NOT a knock on this team).

They would kill them in the paint and with Clyde, MY, Franklin, Reid etc they have the 3pt shooting as well.

2 Likes

True but that team didn’t win the Natty. This team might.

It seems surreal discussing national championships but this team has a chance.

I am still sick from that loss to NCS. We should have had the '83 Nat’l Championship. And Guy Lewis never got the national recognition he so richly deserved.

7 Likes

Overall of course the 83 team is on another level but looking at the breakdown would be a interesting in terms of matchups
Grimes and Jarreau matching up with MY and Clyde

Sasser would be a plus over Franklin and Gettys.

The huge difference is Dream in the middle

Gorham could matchup with Micheaux

No but this team can still reach the final if we continue to improve

3 Likes

I think Gorham would be matched up with Drexler…Clyde was not a great shooter here at UH, but him and Gorham are certainly two of the best offensive rebounders to ever play here. Micheaux would have been a tough matchup too since he was a bulky 6-9 who could finish inside.
Like I said, this is different times where teams now live by the three point line. That '83 bunch had one really good shooter from deep in Young.

Just get Drexler in foul trouble and put Gorham under basket for the final shot. Yeah this years team has a chance.

No three point shooting in 83. That changes things. Watching the 30 for 30 it is clear that Sampson and Lewis are very different coaches. What they have created at UH are vastly different

5 Likes

Todays game is just different than the game was in 83.

2 Likes

Dream would have swatted them all away.

4 Likes

But with today’s refs, he would have fouled out in the first 10 minutes !

2 Likes

I would like to see Rob Williams vs Dejon Jarreau.

2 Likes

The game then and now are very different, as well, the two teams are structured totally different . . . . .

1 Like

I am enjoying the analysis. I hope we make the final 4 and then the championship again…but with a different ending. And if we ever get into a tough football in inclimate weather and are ahead by 3 or more…take the safety and the free kick.

Remember, there wasn’t a shot clock back in '83. That team was loaded with athletism and they were deep in talent. In my humble opinion they’d run this team (or any team in the country) out of the gym.

3 Likes

When was the shot clock brought to college ball? When was dunking against the rules?

1 Like

I believe '85 on the shot clock.

Let me say (as others have mentioned) I think this team can win it all. That said the '83 team was on a completely different level.

Shot clock became a NCAA official rule in 1985. It was used in some conference starting in 83 but it was turned off the last 5 mins of the game. The SWC was one of the leagues that use it like that.

The dunk was outlawed for the 67-68 season it was brought back in the 76-77 season.

2 Likes