2017 Spring Preview & Practices

The thing that made me crazy was Winchester would make some great plays… then completely blow his coverage. This also means he absolutely CAN improve.

1 Like

There were some troubling things I saw last year and I wasn’t sure if they were attributable to Winchester or the scheme. Our corners (not just Winchester) were sometimes lining up 10-12 yards off the ball. Was that because our corners were too slow and the coaches were worried about them getting beat deep, or was that just part of the scheme? Either way, it was WAY too easy to get first downs on us with simple out routes and slants. With our DL able to get in the backfield regularly, I would have thought we could play more press coverage with the corners up tight and a safety over the top.

I hope we don’t see so much space between corners and receivers this year.

5 Likes

Herman benefited from a very experienced group of DBs that didn’t need much coaching in 2015. I was underwhelmed by Herman’s DB hires based on their success at prior stops and assumed they were hired primarily for recruiting skills. It will be interesting to see how the 2017 DBs pan out.

2 Likes

Orlando’s blitzing scheme left DB’s out on their own. While LB’s blitzed the safeties picked up the slot receivers which meant the corners were on their own with not help over the top. Orlando’s defense was a bend but don’t break defense. Give up first downs but prevent the Big plays. A cover 2 defense makes it a bit hard to mix up the blitzes like Orlando did.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that our new DC was not looking to change much schematically, I’m assuming that we will continue to see a bend but don’t break defense and our Db’s lining up a good ways off the ball

1 Like

https://twitter.com/__keithcorbin/status/840402474024484865

1 Like

If and when Jeremy learns to turn and find the ball during coverage … he could come close to leading the country in interceptions. It’s amazing what a little experience and confidence can do for an athlete.

3 Likes