2018 Season Results Conjecture

I’ll do you and a bunch of others a favor and take a break from the forums. My definition of “hopelessly optimistic” isn’t an insult. Sorry you took it that way.

You should know that is not what I am saying. Everyone here is part of the Cougar family and is welcome. I’m just saying we need to be respectful. No need to take a break.

And if you didn’t mean it that way then try to phrase things a little better. Or maybe I am reading into it too much, but we can all be civil. And if you’re right come the fall I will be miserable with you :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t disagree with you as CMA has to prove himself this year. If last year was the real CMA, then we are in trouble.

Your analysis of the poor performance AFTER halftime is spot on. Also, there was very little adjustment during the game. This does not bode well for a head coach in any sport.

This year, we will find out if it was the assistants…at least offensively.

Thank you, that’s your best post ever. BTW, you don’t have to rush back.

There was very little hopeless optimism last season so you’re being overly dramatic.

Most posters realized applewhite wasn’t ready. Most fans realized applewhite wasn’t the best choice.

With briles on board, the program will be back on the uptick and applewhite Can step back and let the men with positive experience do their thing.

I offer the idea that MA did not have the best selection of asst. coaches to choose from. He has had more time to find the right people for the right positions and we will hopefully see much improved results this year . . . . .

4 Likes

I agree, it felt like some of his choices were forced or that he was settling.

1 Like

Probably because we settled on him.

Briles simply fell into our lap. I doubt applewhite has the connections, and so far doesn’t have the experience, to be able to pull a top notch assistant away from a good program.

When briles starts getting calls from other programs, and if we don’t end up promoting briles, I have little confidence that applewhite will be able to reload top assistants and will end up settling for what he can get.

It didn’t hurt that they were once teammates.

2 Likes

Conference championship should be the #1 goal, and pretty much the only season goal for this team. I will be disappointed if we lose to Arizona and Tech because it will eliminate any national buzz and kill attendance, but if you told me we would run through the conference undefeated, I will take it. Championships matter and last longer than a couple cool wins.

FAU lost their first 3 FBS games including getting smashed by Navy. How different was the offense for them compared to the previous season though? I don’t see as much of a learning period for our guys. Really it could be seen as a simpler (for the players) version of what we were trying to do before, and a lot less stubborn. I have faith in King so not too worried about a slow start. We also have a very talented defense so we could always grind out a couple wins if needed.

I agree with this, but Arizona and Tech matter greatly to 2019. We all know that if we have a great 2018, the best we can hope for is to keep this coaching staff intact for one more year for 2019. If we go 12-0 or 11-1 with a NY6 bowl victory in 2018, 2019 sets up perfectly to see if a G5 will ever get into the playoff with games against OU and Washington State. I still agree a conference championship and NY6 game is more important than beating UA and Tech, but I also want to shoot for the stars for 2019. And to do that, we need to start 2019 ranked as high as possible. Wins over P5s is the only thing that does that for us.

And yes, I know I’m coming off a bit pie-in-the-sky right now. I’m ok with that, and I’m also ok with being disappointed if it doesn’t happen. That’s what being a fan is all about.

This entire post is pretty much wrong. Applewhite and Briles were teammates and crossed paths multiple times as assistant coaches. There was no falling into the “lap” of anyone.

The only promotion Briles could possibly get at UH is Head Coach. He is the Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, and if successful, I expect Applewhite to move on and Briles to take his place.

1 Like

Of course we all hope something like that happens. Choosing between beating Arizona/Tech, but not winning conference and losing those two and winning conference, I think the championship means more. The hype from OU/Louisville was cool, but first off we wouldn’t get as much since Tech is probably a 6-6 team and no body knows if Arizona will be good or not, second people quickly forget about those games when you are getting beat in a Vegas/Hawaii bowl to a MWC team. Really hope we crush Sumlin and get revenge on Tech though.

I’m not ready to start thinking about 2019 championship dreams yet, lol. Destroy Rice and Arizona and I will be on board!!

1 Like

Tech was a bad team in 2017, and will be even worse in 2018! No way that game is an L!

We’d all like to agree. But we did lose to Tulane and Tulsa last year. lol

1 Like

You really dont like CMA but hes more than qualified to lead this team. So when Herman had CMA and CTO it was Hermans doing but not CMA and CTO responsible for our winning season. Come on man you’re putting your faith in just one guy and not CMA ability to change, adapt, and overcome. Be happy he wanted briles on his squad and UH let him come. Not that he “fell in our lap”

1 Like

We will find out this coming season.

As for Herman, we will find out this season with his recruits in Austin how well Herman actually is.

All I know is applewhite was not received to positive reviews by the fan base, or me. And adjustments during games and during the season were almost nonexistent.

My fear is that I’m right and we are stuck with the wrong coach in a few years.

I still believe Herman is an unknown. His record shows it.

He knows if he loses Orlando, he might be in deep do do…therefore he gave him the BIG RAISE !!

6 Likes