2018 Season Tickets Update

I upgraded my seats to chairbacks and added an extra seat. Due to numerous issues I couldn’t make a single game last year, but I am looking forward to this year. I do hope we make some incremental improvements to the stadium each year.

No excuses UH fans. Just step up. The city of Houston roots for UH just fine, but UH alumni need to step up…bottom line.

5 Likes

On other threads I’ve been told that CKB’s offense is a run-first scheme. I never followed him at Baylor or FAU so I take others’ word for it who did follow.

So I think if Pezman is the force behind the new OC, then he must believe in run-first too. That doesn’t mean we don’t pass big time too, but it sounds like we have a run centered OC who uses it to set up the pass.

Point to CMA.

I’m all for run first as a setup for the big pass play. But running up the middle doesn’t excite the fan base nor result in any yardage. And sure, someone pointed out that our runs up the middle could go to the left, to the right, or straight into the tackle. But whatever version it looked like up the middle and nowhere to everyone in the stadium.

I laughed at this because Keenum didn’t win a championship.

4 Likes

You are correct, Sumlin lost CK’s championship !!

3 Likes

I believe in Briles’s offense, you pass to set up the run. At BU, they ran the ball successfully with the wide OL splits and the receivers spreading the field.

Holgersen and Kingsbury did the same here.

Not exactly. Briles himself said while he was at UH that his offense was a “take-what-they-give-you” offense; meaning if they load the box, throw down field, if they put everyone between the tackles, bubble pass, and if they go nickel, run it down their throat. Most of the time, we were pretty balanced.

1 Like

Briles doesn’t run a pass happy offense. They generally run a good bit more than they pass.

Nothing some Coog fans use as an excuse to not buy tickets and go to the games would surprise me. It seems there are some people always looking for something to get mad about and if they can find it, they will get mad about that.

2 Likes

Pat, that doesn’t make sense; it would look silly having a college named “The University of Houston” in another city. Kind of like the U of H at Victoria. Oh, wait…:wink:

2 Likes

When LTH came here and told everyone that none of these passing offenses had won the national championship and you had to be able to run the ball first, everyone ate it up and bought it all the way to the peach bowl.

In 2015 we ran the ball 669 times for 3301 yards and passed the ball 432 times for 3477 yards. I’d say that was pretty balanced and it paid off. 60% rushing plays

In 2011 we ran the ball 420 times for 2086 yards and threw it 682 times for 6301 yards. We were not quite as balanced only running 39.2% of the time; but we had Case at QB and some burners for WR’s, something we haven’t had of late. We had a great season; but we didn’t beat an OU caliber team – 6 win UCLA team was the premier team on our schedule.

Our CUSA conference champions of 2006, under Art Briles, ran the ball 490 times for 2356 yards and passed it 300 times for 3889 yards. 62% rushing plays.

So, while our passing games gained more yards in our only two conference championships this century, we ran the ball 62 and 60% of the time. This seems to back up the theory that to win championships you have to be able to run first. That allows for those big gainer passes.

But, for those who choose to hate Applewhite, facts and results don’t matter. Granted, if we get another Case Keenum coupled with Patrick Edwards, Tyron Carrier, Allen Aldridge, etc type speed burner receivers, passing is great and exciting – but you still need a run game.

6 Likes

All this stuff is probably true, but the issue with CMA (at least with me) is his coaching decisions during games and especially at halftime.

To me the jury is still out, but he has only had one season as HC. I disagreed with his OC decisions also, but could not discern how much influence Herman had on him.

BTW, the jury is still out on Herman also, but I could give a crap about him !!!

2 Likes

Sitting in the stands in 90+ degree heat is like torture. If I can find seats that will conceivably be in the shade, I’m in. Regular 11:00 games just doesn’t work. I’d like to know how many UH fans suffered heat exhaustion per game last year.

At least one…and they sat her down on the stairs that are between sec 129/130 and wouldn’t let anyone go down them at halftime. They about cause another 3 or 4 as people were piled up standing and waiting (the 300’s come down that way too). Saw a few looking woozy.

I didnt because it wasn’t true. The 2000 OU team won a MNC with an Air Raid offense. That offense averaged 3.9 yards per carry and 135 yards rushing per game, both worse than our numbers from last year

LTH was a lot of fun to watch. A narcissist for sure but made for fun times. The build-up to the title game was fun and then we actually took home the trophy and Peach Bowl spot. It was a magical year. Then the distractions of 2016 (SMU!) followed by the coaching change and loss of a lot of recruits. How are those recruits doing at their other schools? With weeknight games, and two teens, I can’t drive down from Dallas except on select weekends. I sold my third deck Louisville tickets for $15 each on the Monday before the big game.

I’m going to go down as often as I can but only made two last year.

1 Like

Interesting question.

I believe that Daniel Young got significant playing time last season.

I remember the majority of 'spoons runs being up the middle. Those were some fine runs, reminds me of Newhouse as well.

2 Likes

Joe Anderson - grades kept him out…not playing
Mathew Huhn - SMU - medically retired
Timarcus Davis - Baylor - played in 11 games as a true frosh
Chili Ogbannaya - Baylor - Redshirted
Sam Cosmi - Texas - Redshirted
Carlos Grace - Blinn (grades issue) - 10G 1192yds 10TDs
Donovan Steiner - Florida - played in 11 games as a true frosh
Daniel Young - Texas - 4G 1 Start 118yds 1TD
Marquez Bimage - Texas - played in 12G, mostly special teams
Mohamed Sanogo - Ole Miss - played in 11G as a true frosh
Terry Petry - Mizzou - played but no stats
Javelin Guidry - Utah - 13G 5 starts 31 tackles 4 Pass breakups 1 interception. Projected nickel starter.
Adam Beck - Minnesota - Redshirted
Bronson Boyd - Utah - Had to redshirt after being booted from Texas Tech for stabbing teammate
Terrell Bernard - Baylor - injured during 2nd game and Redshirted rest of season
Devin Miller - Marshall - Redshirted
Jaylon Mascarro - New Mexico St (grades issue) - doesn’t look like he ever made it into NMSU
Bryan Jones - McNeese State (grades issue) - sat out last year and enrolled at McNeese this year

4 Likes