2018 UH Bowl Projections Thread

still don’t exclude the fact the expectation this season is New years 6 or bust

1 Like

Jerry Palm is not “woke”. LOL

2 Likes

Playoff or bust!! I have money on the coogs going to the playoffs.

Has anyone else seen the ESPN computer picks for the playoffs? They are picking Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, and Notre Dame. Excluding teams from the BIG, B12, and PAC. That just might kill the current playoff format.

Good. Last season was a win for playoff expansion. Need more seasons like that. The status quo is unacceptable for us.

1 Like

I would like to see a 12 team playoff. Guaranteed spots for each P5 champ, AAC, MW, and 1 of MAC or Independents. Each team will be seeded 1 thru 8 and have a bye in week 1. The last 4 will be wild-cards seeded 9 thru 12 and play an elimination game week 1 with #9 playing # 12 and # 10 playing #11. This will give us a 3 week playoff that only adds one game if a wild card wins it all. Existing bowls can be used for the playoffs.

If we win a conference championship and don’t get a new years 6 there is no way you can say the season is a failure. Don’t get me wrong I’d love for us to be in one again.

1 Like

Draw this bracket on paper and you’ll see why it won’t work.
Expansion would have to be 8 or 16.

You are correct. It should have been the top 4 seeds get byes

Now hold on a second…they could resort to their usual tactics and just BUY the bowl !!!

What bowl is the reward for aac champs?

If the champ does not have more than one loss - NY6.

If they are the highest ranked G5 team.

AAC has been trying to get a NY6 bowl, but they’re also working on trying to get the Liberty Bowl.

1 Like

Part of me thinks the CFP committee will pick a G5 one year to “prove it can happen” then go back to never letting it happen again. Of course, if that’s the case, they missed a prime opportunity last year with UCF.

2 Likes

For a G5 to make a 4-team playoff, you have to exclude two P5 champs and the SEC runner up. Those three teams will have had a few / several ranked teams because it is mostly P5 teams in the rankings. I am not saying it is impossible but every playoff must have 1 SEC and 1 B1G team in it leaving only 2 spots for ACC champ, Big XII champ, PAC12 champ, SEC runner up, Notre Dame and G5 champ [probably in that order].

Wait, why does there have to be 1 SEC and 1 B1G Team in every playoff?

1 Like

Yeah, a team like Western Michigan who would get curb-stomped by Alabama. When a Houston, Memphis, UCF, or Cincy is good enough to make it…they will (skip over) those teams for fear they might win the whole enchilada!

1 Like

Was being mostly facetious but they seem to run college football. Just a long shot for a G5 to have the perceived resume to keep to P5 Champs out of the CFP today when there are 20 to 22 P5 teams in the Top 25 at any one time.

1 Like

We have a very short sample size but the AAC consistently produces teams that not only compete in NY6 bowls, they win them. Boise is the only non-AAC program that can claim the same. MWC can’t puff itself out too much because 2 of their schools with BCS success, TCU and Utah, are in the promised land now.

Western Michigan, despite the score, was not competitive in their NY6 bowl against Wisconsin. They were completely overmatched the whole game in the trenches. Wisconsin just isn’t a blow you out kind of team. They get a lead, run the clock, and keep it.

I hope the committee keeps the history of this in mind when ranking for ny6. A one or less loss AAC champ should trump all. Our conference has earned that.

2 Likes