2019-20 Starting 5 and Rotation

This is all extremely premature.

If Sampson leaves, we’ll have to contend with the usual fun of players transferring and signed recruits wanting out.

i doubt any on our roster want to transfer, if we hire somone big…they tend to transfer when they feel betrayed and the coach is fired, not thecase here…they will likely wait to see who the new coach is…knowing tillman itll be someone big time and theyll stay

and im in the he camp that think he’ll likely return

2 Likes

I’m with you on it. Also for the credit, I said it first on here! lol

i don’t think cks will leave…he is a bit too old to be leaving now, what with his recent success

Let’s get back to discussing next year as if CKS is staying which he probably is.

I’m not 100% convinced White starts if Gorham is everything Sampson has been saying. To me Gresham emerged as our best big man toward the end of the season, he’s got room to grow, and he and next year’s point guard are on the same wavelength. So I could see Gorham and Gresham at the 4 and 5. I wish Armoni would develop into more of a shooting guard rather than a guy who hangs around the three-point line. That would allow Hinton, who should improve a lot, and Alley to hold down the 3 spot with Mills in reserve at the 2, and White and Harris the other big men. Of course White may very well start. After Deeky, we need a committee of guys to run the point or for Sasser or Mills to step up. I think we’ll be good again, possibly Sweet 16 good, but Galen and Corey were tremendous leaders. That leadership’s going to be a real challenge to replace.

5 Likes

I think the same could be said about Galen, Brooks, and even Corey Davis in last year’s tournament. He really only trusted Gray and D. Davis in the tournament (Rob shot 47 shots in two games). Last year the question was if Corey could step up to be the man, if Galen could develop more offensively to be able to stay on the floor more, and if Brooks could be a consistent scorer.

Now it is time for Brooks to have his Davis Jr type jump, Hinton to be the consistent scorer, and Deeky to be unleashed.

5 Likes

I expect a big jump from Hinton. He seemed to fall off this season after his broken nose.

4 Likes

This is a really good post Sam and I agree with all of it. Your Gorham-Fabian part brings up a concern I have long term as we recruit better is the underclassmen taking over because they’re just better than the upperclassmen. That can be hard on a locker room. Also CKS seems to believe in seniority with his rotations, he’s a big trust guy, unless the difference is blatantly obvious. I really give Gresham a ton of credit this year for his maturity. His minutes were up and down and he was overall very consistent in his effort.

4 Likes

I doubt that they would all stay–If you remember when Sampson was hired we had a recruiting war on our hands for our top players. One went to A$M (House) and the other to Oklahoma. It also seems when a coach leaves he either takes players or recruits with him - i.e. Briles and Herman. Probably happens at most schools since the transfer rules have been thrown out with coaching changes.

because the coach was fired when sampson came, large exoduses happen the the players feel betrayed by the program for firing a coach they wanted to stay…

when a coach voluntarily leaves for another program, the feel betrayed the coach, but mostly stay .

look at Marquette in 2013…in 2013 Marquette brought in a 5 espn 100…buzz williams leaves Marquette to Virginia tech the very next year …not one player transferred… (technically 1 transferred but it was mid-season for PT reasons, but no one left for the coach leaving)

Our remaining player should tell our seniors…“Relax, we’ve got your watch”. Any Navy guys on board will know what that means.

1 Like

We will have Gorham and J’wan Roberts on the team next year who are both 6’7. Mills is 6’3 and Sasser is 6’2. So we have some length coming in next year. Be nice if Gorham will finally be the decent scorer and good rebounder the Coogs have been looking for at PF.

1 Like

Is Armoni the only senior?

Harris will be a senior

1 Like

Deeky
Armoni
Nate
Gorham
White or Gresham

Sasser is good. I can see him getting minutes right away. I’m pretty sure we’ll look at the transfer market as well to replace Brady.

1 Like

Just wish the Coogs could find another 6’8 to the 6’9 player for the center position. All we would need is that player to have good hands around the basket for defense and rebounds, be able to finish with dunks, and be a decent free throw shooter.

And maybe have a go to move like a hook shot or jab.

I always forget that. Harris was looking a lot better on offense and even FTs (1-2 instead of 0-2) at the very end of the season.