2019-2020

So with the departure of Brooks, who has the inside track to be our starting guards? Seems like Hinton, Jarreau, and Mills to me. Down low, White and Gorham with Gresham getting significant minutes.

What do you think? Go Coogs!!

I think we’ll start the year with the following:

Jarreau
Hinton
Alley
White
Harris

CKS likes to reward guys who stayed early in the season, before letting younger guys and transfers get those starting spots.

However, he’ll change it up quickly with a loss. Mills and Gotham will almost definitely be in play to start.

1 Like

Agree Patrick
 it sure will be tough for under class men from getting playing time from last year’s players

Also need to add Sasser and Gorham (sp) to the rotation

PawsđŸŸUp

1 Like

If Mills is the scorer everyone is starting to say he is and CKS’s kind of player (hustle, defense, rebound), I can’t see him not starting by Jan-Feb time frame. But if not, it’s because someone is better so let the competition begin!!!

There’s a lot of different ways I can see our lineup shaking out over the course of the season, but I certainly think that the starting 5 at the beginning of the season will not be the same as the starting 5 in February. I could see Mills playing into a starting role, but I could also see him coming off the bench early into the game and then also playing point guard when Jarreau is on the bench. We don’t currently have a clear backup point guard on the roster, but we have a bunch of candidates to play that role between Hinton, Mills, and Sasser.

If we get Grimes watch out for Jarreau and Grimes starting and then Nate and Mills to come off bench. I fully expect come tournament time its
Jarreau.
Grimes.
Nate
Gresham
Harris

2 Likes

Thats a tall line-up. (3) 6’5” guards. Sheesh. Not used to that.

1 Like

Grimes with one year under his belt in College and getting the coaching here at UH could be dynamite. People seem to forget that he’s a pretty good shooter because of his slashing ability to the basket.

Simple solution to fans arriving prior to tip off, especially on week night games. Have HPD shut down all traffic on every freeway and Toll road except for attendees of UH BB games . . . . . Of course, we’ll need window stickers for ID . . . . .

1 Like

I think the construction has shut down the traffic already. The freeways have been converted to parking lots.

Gresham and Harris will not be on floor at same time except for the national anthem.

12 Likes

Really, you see Harris starting ?

I’m thinking Jarreau, Hinton, White, Gresham and either Gorham or Alley
whoever is shooting the 3’s better. Mills, first off the bench.

1 Like

I do not see Harris playing much at all as the season goes along. He has one good skill, he is a liability on offense. He is not better than White, Gresham and Gorham

I think he will get decent playing time because he is good rim protector and rebounder. Late in the game, his FT prowess is definitely a liability.

The amount of time he gets may be a function of just how good Gorham is and of course Gresham’s and White’s foul propensity.

1 Like

Harris does provide some size that nobody else on the roster has plus he is an extra 5 fouls at center. Hopefully we improve on the fouling this yr lol.

3 Likes

We’re going to need him when we play bigger teams. They’re is a reason why we want and are going hard at a 6’10+ recruit in 2020
 They make the game so much easier on defense & rebounding. In Harris case, he can do both of those things and he gets his occasional dunk or two. Without him, UH would be small against the bigger teams in the country.

1 Like

Actually some inside moves are quite easy. He was still a raw talent last year. I expect an
improvement from him.

I really hope Gresham and Harris have worked on a few moves, so they can provide some points in the paint. Brady had a pretty good post game when he wasn’t in foul trouble, which was most of the time.

with our current roster
ill be shocked if the starting line up isnt

pg: jarreau
sg: mills
sf: hinton
pf: white
c: gresham

we run set plays for shooters in transitions, and Sampson has said the key to his offense is spacing
alley starting means there isnt a single good shooter in our starting line up

if we add grimes i think itll be
pg: jarreau
sg: grimes
sf: hinton
pf: white
c: gresham

im not exactly sure we can put gresham and harris on the floor at the same time, neither can shoot or intiate offense
also sampson loves stretch 4
and i think sampson has shown he loves White and Gresham both would be starters if one was a bit bigger .

1 Like

I think if we keep to a three guard rotation, 2 of those guys will be starters.