2020 Bowl Invitations

I remember reading that the requirement for 6 wins to qualify for a bowl were waived in 2020. Since it seems unlikely we will play any remaining regular season games, what are the chances we still go bowling?

1 Like

We are at .500 (3-3) so I would hope we would get an invitation if the Memphis game gets cancelled. Lot of teams with one or no wins.

1 Like

Are we talking about going to some bowling alley here? I hate to say it, but to me it seems about time that UH FB refocus its attention on recruiting, player development and spring drills.

Hopefully, we can have a more normal season next year.

1 Like

These players have practiced their butts off this year. They deserve any chance they have to play a game. Recruiting will take care of itself.

19 Likes

Las Vegas Bowl cancelled.

Bowl games that continue will do so without Bowl Week festivities.

Most likely, treated like any other game but with lovely parting gifts

6 Likes

Some of the bowl gifts Derek has received have been awesome! Sometimes that’s worth the invite!

10 Likes

I want to beat UT in a bowl game.

5 Likes

But if you go to a bowl. You get extra practice. Its like a bonus spring training.

8 Likes

Yes. In normal times, it meant an extra month, which was huge going into the next season. This year’s bowl practice protocols ???
Who knows…

2 Likes

Some still have us going to the Frisco Bowl on December 19th. But we could play a conference game that day. Another option would be Armed Forces Bowl which would be a better game since most are expecting TCU to be the other team even if they finish 4-6.

1 Like

Pointed out above that the Vegas bowl has been cancelled and I read that the Texas bowl might cancel too. I would lean towards most of the lower tier bowls cancelling unfortunately for the kids.

Great article today in “The Athletic” for those who subscribe about Coach Jenkins and the 1990 Coca Cola Bowl. Apologies for posting a paywall link, but a fun read for those who subscribe.

Have heard nothing about the Texas Bowl cancelling. Only there will be no bowl week festivities nor need for volunteers

A college player getting bowl gifts is equivalent to getting snacks after a little league game. :wink:

4 Likes

Nice snacks though

4 Likes

My kid never got bluetooth headphones, watches, backpacks, PS4… after a little league game!

1 Like

Should have moved to a better neighborhood with better snacks

5 Likes

I would take a bowl game over another AAC game the way this season has gone. The 2 teams would have more time to get injury and covid in check to field a team. Less chance of a Wednesday Thursday just kidding announcement. We didn’t go bowling last year and haven’t won one since FSU. It would be nice for CDH and his team to have this experience. We looked pretty good vs Tulane and that was a long layoff.

4 Likes

It was a joke, I just meant they get as excited as kids waiting on snacks after a game.

2 Likes

One year at the Texas Bowl they gave the players $300 Best Buy cards and the had private shopping spree at their stores.

2 Likes