2021 MLB Draft

Anyone that wants to enter the portal after July 1 has to submit a special request to the NCAA. Common reason used is coaching changes (in our case Esposito). The NCAA is being very lenient this year. In fact I’m seeing some kids transfer within the same conference, which is typically strongly discouraged. Also, keep in mind that there may be kids in the portal that aren’t listed on D1Baseball website (their Transfer Tracker is based on information shared with Kendall Rogers & Co. via email). The kids that were expecting to go in the draft may pursue a free agency deal too.

1 Like

Steven Rivas is signing w the Angels.

3 Likes

Maybe this is a shorter list… Which starters are still with the team?

There lies the dilemma…if he was coming off a good run could afford to bite the bullet and just go with Frosh/Soph and build on that…but…don’t think he has that luxury, he’s got to win now I would imagine. So, that means going to have to really hit the portal and JUCO pool heavily.

1 Like

He better get on it…

We are losing many of the starters. But again, starters on the worst UH team in history of the program.

4 of the top 5 2021 hitters are gone: Bielamowicz 45 starts .301 AVG (Graduation), Burckel 49 Starts .256 AVG (Transfer), Pendergrass 49 starts .237 AVG (Transfer) and Rivas 45 starts .269 AVG (FA-Angels), Lovelace 34 starts behind plate .175 AVG (Transfer/FA-Angels) all gone.

Returning (we think): Hernandez 46 starts .287 AVG 11 HR, McMillan 52 starts .235 AVG, Uhse 48 starts .232 AVG and Post 22 starts .250 AVG.

I’m happy for the kid. Rivas is tearing it up this summer in the TCL. He is leading the league in almost every offensive category. Batting .426 with 9 HR’s in 68 AB’s.

See what happens when a great player gets out of the toxic environment? Like Yogi Berra once said…Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

4 Likes

Yes I agree totally. I thk he has more upside than Hernandez just based on lot of factors you mention above.

1 Like

Rivas was hot at the start of the season then he fell off… Didn’t he have an injury and missed a few games?

Yes his ankle. TW told him to suck it up and get back out there. Told him he was being soft. I think they rushed him because he tapered off the rest of the season.

1 Like

You might need your ankle to turn on the ball… Lol

2 Likes

Dang it stand on one foot while you hit. :grin:. I hope the status of the program is not as bad as I hear on here. Worse part is I’ve seen 2-3 transfer portal guys from Memorial & Lamar H.S thst were attending UNC, A&M, TXTech all sign w Rice & Cruz Jr within last week. We could use some of those. Those are 3 very good baseball programs they’re coming from! :thinking::unamused:

2 Likes

Yeah Rivas had his foot in a boot and TW made him pinch hit. The situation called for a home run in that spot and TW was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. He didn’t hit a home run…

2 Likes

I remember that game.

1 Like

Reidel , Vincent and ?

1 Like

Drew Woodcox-- Lamar H.S-- TxTech

And a while back when I mentioned HB would be able to out recruit us now with LB in place and UH program in shambles, there were a lot of folks on here implying I was crazy…

Thanks

1 Like

I don’t know abt HBU out recruiting UH, but I expect Rice to be back real soon w Jose Cruz Jr as HC.

2 Likes

Fair point