#21 and rising!

16 (twice), 3 (twice), 4 (twice), 5 (twice), 12, 20, 21, 19, 8, 10 and 17 lost since this weeks rankings were posted. We beat a good sMU and a top 25 WSU on the road. Do we really want a number next to our name with the way rankings are going this season???

4 Likes

We need to at some point if we want a decent seed

3 Likes

I don’t care what the sportswriters or other coaches say. If you watched Houston @ WSU, the Coogs are a Top 25 team. That was a clinic @ WSU. Based on the eye test @ WSU, there are not 25 teams better than UH. When Houston plays CKS defensive basketball, the Coogs can hang with anyone in the country. I’ve been wishy-washy on this year’s team. What I watched @ WSU, moved the needle for me.

Go Coogs. Peace.

13 Likes

Do these rankings come out on Sundays like in football?

Mondays

1 Like

Maybe in a week or two. UH teams tend to let down when they start getting petted. I want our highest pre-tourney ranking of the year the day the conference tourney ends. Not any time prior to that.

1 Like

We received votes last week and peeked the week before the Tulsa game. Memphis will be ranked this week but I don’t think WSU will be a top 25 team Monday. I really think we jump up after beating a good SMU record and WSU on the road. Also we have more games today that could lose.

I see 24 for us.

I think there’s a fair chance we barely crack into the top 25 considering it was a pretty dominate win over them on the road. I know many on this board say they don’t care about being ranked, and I understand it really only matters in March, but I want UH to be ranked any time possible. Something about that little number by the name makes me walk a bit taller throughout the day.

7 Likes

Plus, they would feature UH nationally when they talk about how the top 25 did. The more exposure, the better!

7 Likes

And it brings more casual fans to the FC. If in the Top 25 this week, maybe the crowd will be better for UConn. FC is great when near capacity. Houston likes a winner.

4 Likes

I much more worried about Net which has us moving near the top 25. That’s what the committee is most paying attention to.

SMU was ranked in the polls a few years ago and didn’t even make it in.

3 Likes

When does the net update?

Sam Blum, Dallas Morning News tweeted his ballot

1. Baylor 2. Zaga 3. SDSU 4. KU 5. Seton Hall 6. FSU 7. Dayton 8. Louisville 9. Nova 10. WVU 11. Butler 12. Duke 13. Iowa 14. Oregon 15. Illinois 16. UK 17. Rutgers 18. Maryland 19. Auburn 20. Liberty 21. Nor Iowa 22. Houston 23. Zona 24. ETSU 25. TTU
4 Likes

Our league does not get the respect it deserves, just like in football…but the good news is teams in the AAC can actually play for a national title.
The difference in basketball lack of respect, is that it is harder for one of our teams to stay ranked in the top 25, therefore we usually get poor seeding…remember we had to win over 30 games last year to get a respectable seeding .
I understand that the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and maybe the Big East are better hoops conferences than we have, but I will never understand how teams break even in conference play and get better seedings sometimes than our champ.
We made the Sweet 16 last year and I think WSU, Memphis or the Coogs can do that. Until we continue to make noise in the Dance we will normally be under appreciated by pollsters and the seeding experts…

3 Likes

Our conference hasn’t done itself any favors with how the teams have played in the NCAA tournament lately

3 Likes

Lol @ Blum.

1 Like

I totally agree. He’s got liberty in there. They are 17-1. 14 of those wins are against teams with losing records. 2 wins against teams over .500. TWO.

The one team they played that had a pulse, LSU, beat them easily.

Oregon at 14 is absolutely whack. There are some other head scratchers in there also.

Being ranked does not effect our chances to make the tournament but it does help what other feel about our program.

That does matter. It gets outsiders talking about us which brings more fans and sells the program to recruits. Doesn’t hurt to see our name constantly scrolling through the AP wire when watching ESPNs.

7 Likes

Interesting. “In Seth We Trust”?
https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/1219037991403847680?s=09

1 Like