22 passes?

Really?

Can anyone give me a clue?

4 Likes

Severely out coached

1 Like

CMA stayed after the game that they kept running because that’s what the defense showed. Briles was too stubborn to make adjustments even when it wasn’t working and 2 of our 3 main RBs got hurt.

As was stated, we got outcoached badly last night.

13 Likes

I’ve seen stubborn. I’ve seen incompetence. I don’t know what that was but that was more than stubbornness and incompetence. That was just downright strange.

6 Likes

The only thing the defense “showed” was that they could stop our RB’s effortlessly. I honestly think this HC is way over his head.

Most people from kindergarten to Madden 2019 realize that when something fails 25 times in a row you need to stop doing it.

3 Likes

Is it briles fault or Major :apple:?

Last night was a total team loss. Played miserably on both sides of the ball. Coaches as well as players contributed to the result.

5 Likes

All of sudden UH for some reason cannot win at SMU. It not like they have a loud and hectic fan base. All three of our most recent coaches have all been manhandled by SMU, yet when we play them at TDECU it is an easy win.

5 Likes

I don’t get it either. If it was the same set of coaches, I would say that SMU has gotten in their heads. Football can be as much about the physiological as it is the physical. It’s not even the same set if SMU coaches. Mystery to me.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone will say that I don’t know what talking about, and maybe I don’t. I was at the game, and early on, I thought the obvious. Running the ball could have been more effective had we mixed it up, a little. You don’t have to wait until after halftime to adjust.

2 Likes

That one was on Major - not Briles, IMHO. Major is the one responsible for the “game plan,” and he thought our passing threat was sufficient that SMU would have prepared for that. Therefore, our “plan” was to run the ball. He did that - it did not work, but he stuck with his “plan.”

The failure got so bad that many fans began to boo every time they ran the ball and cheered when they threw a pass, even if it was incomplete. Everybody in the stands seemed to understand what was going on!

1 Like

By my math it would take 484 hands to catch 22 passes.

1 Like

24 times against Rice but they had control late and they hit several big plays to score which limits your chances. He threw it 27 times vs Tulsa and for 10 less yards. Some of that is due to the two short fields they had in the 4th due to turnovers. He actually ran it for more times against SMU but for almost 1/2 as many yards.

The idea that this team couldn’t have a clunker shouldn’t have been a surprise. Tulsa self destructed and SMU didn’t.

It was D’Onofrio’s, Kendal’s and Major’s fault. Applewhite takes the ultimate responsibility as Head Coach, but Kendal calls plays and develops offensive scheme for a game and D’Onofrio calls plays and develops defensive scheme.

Additionally, I won’t let the players off the hook. They are responsible too. Some guys needed to step up as the starter ahead of them went down injured, and they didn’t. Some starters didn’t play to their potential.

Dane Roy had his best game in red and white. That is the only positive I saw.

2 Likes

This thread is great. First, some people insisted Major get out of Briles’ way and were convinced that any bad, conservative play-calling was Major’s doing. Now, when Briles calls mostly running plays / unsuccessful passing plays in the first half and the team loses, now other (the same?) people want Major to take over the play calling for the 2nd half.

There was plenty of blame to go around in this game. Hopefully it is the wake up call for this team. They played like a team on the road with a two-game lead with four to play while being blinded by their shiny new #17 ranking and Heisman-hopeful QB. All of that is gone now so time to re-focus and finish with 3 solid Ws to get into the AAC Championship game.

Ya Woo Cougar Football!

4 Likes

Man, Kevrin can’t get any justice.

The only person that absolutely has to take the blame every week is the HC.

Re 22 passes…CMA said today on radio that they made mistakes as offense staff by not trusting what they do well…throwing the ball.
Ironic part is both times we went deep we were successful to Stevensonfor TD and long gain before last TD.
SMU played same 5 deep shell that Tulsa played against us. So they couldn’t figure it out in 4 weeks? Do you thing maybe somebody might watch Tulsa film and say hey that worked maybe we should do that too.
Did we run any WR screens??? I don’t think so.
Any Jet sweeps??? Don’t think

3 Likes

I have a feeling this “game plan” was passed down from Major and could potentially spark a riff between KB and Major. Just my opinion and theory, I hope I am wrong. They were playing way over the top of Stevenson with Lark out. Running the ball was probably correct strategy in theory based on scheme but sometimes it’s about Jimmys and Joes not Xs and Os. In our conference there is not any Jimmy or Joe that is on par with Stevenson and King IMO.

This is my theory as well. I believe MA believes that he has to react to another team’s style of play not dictate to them how we will play. Case in point, in the Texas Tech game he was adamant that we were going to be in a shootout with them and in my opinion called a defensive game like he expected the game to come down to who had the ball last. The great teams balance what they are given with what they are good at.