24-1

Time for some crystal ball fun. I volunteer to be your Huckleberry.

With the possible exception to PSJ, the team chemistry is as good as anytime in my 55+ years of being a UH fan. The performance of the team is improving with each passing week. Individually and collectively, they are growing in confidence. The defense is outstanding as evidenced by the NCAA stats. Our recent games are blowouts. Also I believe Mark is finding his shooting touch. Best of all, we have Sampson as a HC.

I believe it is reasonable to project our record at the end of conference play to be 21-1. The balance of the schedule is very winnable. Back to back road games vs Cincy and WSU normally would give us pause, but both of those teams are weaker this season, so we should be able to win both.

By the time the AAC Tournament starts, we should be a well oiled machine. Barring injury or some unforeseen situation, we should win the AAC Tournament, which would give us a 24-1, or at worse a 23-2 record heading into March Madness.

If by chance we happen to be a 24-1 team leading up to the NCAA Tournament, we’ll probably be ranked #2 or #3 and a #1 seed. Even if Gonzaga or Baylor should lose a game, chances are they won’t lose much ground with the committee.

Anything can happen in the big tournament, but I believe this team is an Elite 8 caliber, perhaps better. I’m hoping for better.

6 Likes

a few notes… your count is off by 3 conference games, you didnt count the cincy/usf game that will be rescheduled, or the end of the year memphis game (for tv purposes)that hasnt picked a final date (1 of 2 days) …undefeated the rest of the way is 27-1

secondly, we are drastically better than everyone in this league and should be favored to win the rest, that doesnt mean you will win the rest. or even that its likely… off nights are a thing in basketball…(see tulsa)

likely 27-1, at worst 26-2 – is a strong statement the way college basketball is…
there are 3 aac teams thats are really desperate for a houston win, that would give them legitimate at-large hopes-- smu who just got back its 2nd best player (who didnt play us the 1st time), @wichita , and 2x memphis who believe theyve cracked the code and just had their best offensive game of the year… (usf is no pushover either/and has legitimate size unlike everyone else in the aac)

if we ended up 25-3 and a 3-4 seed, id still consider it an elite year and my cieling for this team wouldn’t change much

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. I only counted the scheduled games shown on UHCougars.com. If 27-1, I like it even better.

I am taking you to Dr. Pepper Jinx Court if they lose another regular season game. Plenty of lawyers on here that will likely take the case pro Coogo…

6 Likes

lol :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Fyi… Coogs play 25 gms this year. Play 20 Conf gms. Were schd for 27 which was most allowed this year. Lost schd gms to Rice, SHSU, UA.
Gained gm against Alcorn St.
Currently 13-1, and 8-1 in Conf.
So 11 gms to go if they get all them in!!

he is counting the 3 games in the conference tournament

1 Like

Ohhh. I’m worried abt the reg season rt now. Geez he’s wanting to climb Mt Everest.

Currently, UHCougars.com has us scheduled for 8 more games in the regular season. If there are make-up games forthcoming, then they are not currently accounted for on the site schedule.

Really it doesn’t matter. I expect the Coogs to win the rest of their games per the listed schedule, which will make them 21-1. Win the post season conference tournament, then we’re 24-1.

If Pesik is correct and we have three more games, then I’ll revise my prediction to 27-1, or in the event of a Dr. Pepper jinx moment, then 26-2. A 27-1 record should equal a #1 seed. A 26-2 record should give us a #2 at the very least.

Either way, it’s all good. IMO, anything less than Elite 8 would be surprising.

2 Likes

memphis is on the schedule…
it is not listed on espn or UH’s site because no date has been finalized… it is expected to be on CBS, and cbs wants to chose whether itll air on march 6th or 7th depending on how good we are (the last aac game of the year always on CBS, vs the preseason top 2 teams)

the temple game was moved up to this week to make room for south florida, that game (houston @south florida) will be played on February 8th, 9th or 10th (where the temple game used to be), that is now free for both of us

cincy as it stands will most likely be a back to back or not rescheduled…cincy currently has no room on its schedule to make up games …would need other cancellations for this game to be mde up as a standalone

1 Like

That listing has never had the season ending game @ Memphis even listed.

@GooseCreekCoog. Don’t think I have forgotten. Motions are being filed in DP Jinx Court as we speak!

4 Likes

All I can say in my defense is I’m guilty of having high hopes for the team. If they lose another game, I’ll voluntarily submit to the Dr. Pepper authorities.

3 Likes