30 seconds

I don’t like letting it go down and taking the finals shot. Go ahead and extend the game because you are down by 1. If you miss like we did you essentially end the game with a loss.

2 Likes

We did the right thing and made sure they didn’t have enough time to come back…we just didn’t make the shot…

1 Like

That’s fine but you are putting all your marbles on one shot when you have 30 seconds left.

You are playing on the road, have come back from 15 points and just watch SMU hit a desperation trey…it all boiled down to the final shot…we played it right, especially playing on the road

6 Likes

I agree with Youngloyalcougar2. They took too much time to get the shot off, and Harris should have been in there.

5 Likes

No way Harris is going to be in there in a tight game in the final seconds. Although his free throw shooting has improved you can bet he would be the guy SMU would be looking to foul.
We ate up the clock like we should have and I am sure had several options but SMU was not going to let us penetrate…

1 Like

I was fine with how they played it. Too many missed opportunities - they had their shots. Sasser was so good tonight. And Jarreau kicked the circus out of town for a game.

1 Like

Putting the ball in the hoop is what basketball is about. We just need to make some critical shots…regardless of the time.

3 Likes

Just bummed that we lost.

3 Likes

Everybody.

I thought perhaps the key play in the game was Mills scrambling to the floor to secure the loose ball with the clock running out. Did coach mention this afterwards?
I really thought young Mills had time to call a time out before his knee hit the out of bounds line.
Others have said that several UH players were trying to call a time out, but I didn’t see it…
Bottom line if we get that timeout we get the ball late and a chance to win it at the free throw line. Instead they get the ball and hit a miracle trey as the shot clock expired.
I know it is hard to call a timeout when you are trying to secure the ball, but I thought the official was close enough to hear it if there was a time out called.
I am thinking that perhaps our young guys didn’t think about calling the time out until after the fact. If that is the case this should be a great learning experience.
Guaranteed our two guards last year, who were both seniors, would have called the time out.

2 Likes

He was in the game when there was .6sec left i know for sure. Trying to see if lob was there but they had him screened off from getting too close to basket.

Thanks, he was certainly a difference maker in the second half…they just destroyed us when we went small in the first half…Guess we were looking for a lob as one of our options but gee whiz how nervous would we have gotten if he had gone to the line lol…

1 Like

Actually CKS was trying to match Smoo small lineup so he basically had 4 guards n either Gorham or Harris in w the guards. I’d prefer he go with what works for Coogs n see if can’t find mismatch on our end instead of trying to play to their strength.

3 Likes

That’s correct. Since Dallas (aka SMU) has several bigs who are quicker than our bigs and who can shoot he 3 ball better than our bigs can defend it, CKS chose to go with a smaller, quicker line-up.

1 Like

SMU played it well especially in the first zipping through our man defense for layups and short range shots. Harris was a huge factor in our comeback along with Sasser catching fire

1 Like

Yes, after SMU got tired and quit shooting 75% from the field, we were able to play Harris a lot more and he was fairly effective.

In 1st half the SMU Coach did good job of having their offense force Harris or White out to FT line then would just blow rt by them for easy basket. Saw it happen to much in first half.

That might be why coach went zone at times in the second half

1 Like