32×32: 2018-19 American Conference Preview

#2. Houston

Kelvin Sampson has quietly done an outstanding job with this Houston program. Inheriting a program that had only made one NCAA Tournament since the days of the Southwest Conference, Sampson finally got the Cougars over the hump in 2017-18. And while scoring sensation Rob Gray graduates, several key cogs are back from a team that was a few seconds away from beating eventual national runner-up Michigan in the NCAA Tournament. The defense should be strong once again, but former UMass guard Dejon Jarreau will have to provide some scoring punch alongside a great shooter in Corey Davis.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know about UCF. Fall seems injury prone having lost chunks of the last two years to injury. If Dawkins stays healthy, they’ll still be good, but I think Fall goes down (pun intended) again and they slip to 4th. So I think:

1. Houston
    2/3. Memphis/Cincinnati - toss up
  2. UCF
    Everyone else like he has them.

By tournament time, I think UH, Memphis, and Cincy could be equally good if everyone is healthy. And UCF could be in the mix too if Fall stays healthy too, I just don’t think it will happen.

I think Cincy and UH will have to fall off dramatically for UCF to climb to the top of the conference. Just not sure they are a top tier team.

2 Likes

Yep remains to be seen…however alot of people were saying that about us last year.

1 Like

And they are saying it about us this year because Gray is gone.

1 Like