7-1 not deserving of rank, 2 Hesiman candidates not deserving of rank

Ya know what, @#$/ em, we knew we had to win out to get ny6 anyways.

I don’t have to guess who has the more impressive opponent record. It’s neither.

If you want to go strictly by records and roughly equate a win over 4-5 Arizona to a win over 3-5 Idaho, then we can agree to disagree on going strictly by opponents’ overall record.

I am beginning to believe the UCF conspiracy theory that a Top 20 ranking for UH now coupled with a #12 for UCF could cause problems for the CFP if both win out and face each other in the AAC Championship.

2 Likes

The only quality win we have is USF.

ONLY thing that matters is win out and get in the NY6 Bowl. Once get into a P5 then can worry about CFP, until then it’s a pipe dream for any G5 to think evan have remote shot at getting in

I don’t disagree and the quality of that win can be debated. My point was directed at those arguing that UH didn’t deserve to be in the Top 25 due to the SOS argument. The whole process is subjective but, if you are going to analyze the UH schedule, then you have to do the same to the other teams. It’s not like UH is the only one with a weak resume.

2 Likes

Several teams in the CFP top 25 have 0 ranked wins. We have a ranked win against a previously undefeated team that actually earned their ranking. They were 7-0. If they had beaten us at 8-0 they would have been top 20 across the board easily this week. That spot we kicked them out of is ours since we’re 7-1. That’s how the polls/rankings are supposed to work. The now meaningless AP/Coaches polls understand that.

3 Likes

The cfp is purposely rigged. How many times do we have to say it? You will never see a G5 into the playoff unless the cfp gets sued.
You could have U of H schedule all P5 Schools beside our schedule. Finish undefeated & still not make the cfp. It is not about sport. It is about money. Get it?
It is obvious that some of you are in denial. Seriously friends?

4 Likes

it clearly is

they pick the teams they want for ESPN’s money making formula.

Throw the good G5 conferences with multipe 7-1 teams, the MWC and AAC get one bone each.
elevate Washington State to #8 to keep the PAC-12 interested.

5 Likes

ucf is not the enemy. ucf wins help the g5.

1 Like

Sagarin
Dokter Entropy
Pigskin Index
ESPN FPI

Only the most accurate predictive power ratings available, the average of which hits the early Vegas line almost on the nose.

We beat people by 20 points a game. According to those who measure SOS, Fresno’s schedule is 2-3 points per game harder than ours.

And they beat people by 26 points per game.

You do the math.

1 Like

I see the importance of game time for the seconds and thirds.
But using game time as practice time do have its consequences.
Style points do count.
There are so many instances in this season where we back off the pedal and let the other team catch up.
That ruins our stats. Our defense is much better than the number would indicate. Unfortunately, when they compares teams, they don’t look at each games. They don’t know that AZ scores was during garbage time against our second team. They only look at the scores and the stats. By how much did we beat them, and how many yards did we allow, etc.
I hope our coaches would consider these factors going forward.
Style points do count.

Does this take into account garbage time and playing 2nd and 3rd stringers? If we had been playing only our starters in all games, we’d be beating teams by an average of 35 easily. Ranking based on margin of victory seems awfully simplistic unless it’s weighted for garbage time.

1 Like

UH results so far this season:

50 UH
30 Opponents

+20 Pt differential on average is not enough? If you look at the Wins only, it is 50-25 in favor of UH. If you remove TSU from the wins, it is still 47-27. Granted it could be higher but it is not like the wins have been close at the end. If you look at each game, it might not seem that lopsided but the “eye test” should tell them that UH is handling its business.

What if our defensive stat was more reflective of how good they are instead of one of the lowest in the nation? What if we had more shutout games?

The measurable is what they use to compare teams.
We do it ourselves. Just look at @CougarRed’s post.

Those would not hurt. I am not sure the CFP goes into that detail for the G5. I am glad you posted that and made me look though. I was thinking the Coogs are fortunate to be 7-1 but, in looking at the numbers, they have been pretty dominant. Fresno wins with defense and the Coogs win with offense. UH averages a 3-TD victory (with a missed XP) every week even with the loss to Tech. Nothing wrong with that
but I hope they increase the average this week.

How else would they compare us to Fresno St.
I am pretty sure they don’t watch every game and less likely the G5 games.

If you look at Louisville in 2015, they score a lot of lopsided games against poor team. But the hype helped their rankings a lot.

No idea

Last thing on the scoring:

2016 (All Games)

The committee “probably” has stats adjusted for garbage time and SOS. These things are readily available. I saw last year that they have software to bring teams up side by side.
However, I have NOT seen any sites that keep track of PF and PA adjusted for garbage time.
All the Efficiency Ratings(including ESPN) do adjusted for garbage and SOS.
If they have football people on commitee they should know that Yards per Play is more accurate gauge than total yards etc due to pace difference etc

1 Like

Helps the G5 how? I want them to win out until the CCG to benefit us, but I care more about UH than the conference as a whole