7 playoff bowls post lowest attendance

Partly because Sugar Bowl attendance was less than that of many lower bowls! Huge drop compared to last year when Texas v UGA sold out! Any wonder big bowls hate small schools!

Three “Bowl” games in New Orleans in about 3 weeks may have been a detriment to attendance . . . . .

3 Likes

My biggest takeaway is that there will be 3 MORE bowls, LA Bowl, Myrtle Beach. Owl and Fenway Bowl. That is 84 bowl teams.

Lots of 5-7 teams being rewarded for not winning half their games!!!

1 Like

I bet a bowl game between the two worst teams in fbs may actually pull some ratings. I’d watch it.

5 Likes

Even better, how about a CFP for the bottom 10. Only the bottom 4 get in and the selection committee is made up of only reps from programs that perennially stink!!!

1 Like

Baylor under Briles earned a rep as a team that travelled. After Briles, getting Baylor will kill attendance. We had them last year with Vandy and it was the lowest attendance since Rice vs WMU

1 Like

I like where your head is at sir.

1 Like

So, the bottom 4 would be looking to finish #1, so they purposely fumble and throw interceptions to do so. Now, that’s what I call intertainment!

3 Likes

Don’t Rice and UTEP already play in the regular season !:sunglasses:

4 Likes

That win for either program would probably keep them out of the game. Don’t want rematches in the un-championship.

I have zero interest in 75% of the bowls…seem like a constellation prize.

College football is the only sport where you end your post season with a meanigless Win and I have a huge issue with that.

Maybe college football will one day realize they can make so.much more money, increase their interest, etc. If they had expanded playoffs…but I doubt it will ever happen

2 Likes

So you’re saying it has STAR quality?

4 Likes

The old system before bowl tie INS and CFP. Was better.

Everyone talks about the playoff like it’s a panacea. It isn’t. Re: FCS

1 Like

71,000 when UH played FSU in the Peach Bowl

2 Likes

Agreed

Same when we played at NRG against OU. Preseason bowl?

I don’t think it matters. Bowl tickets are given to sponsors who do not show up. for the game. Bowls get paid by these same sponsors and TV money. The only ones who lose money at bowl games are potentially the schools when payouts do not match actual expenses.

The problem for the schools is that even the minor bowls require the participating school to buy an allotment of tickets. Those tickets usually go on the market at a face value price versus the secondary market from the sponsors who do not attend. Alumni that do go tend to by from the secondary market at cheaper prices versus from the school. The school ends up not doing much more than cover expenses.

Memphis folks were complaining about that this year for the Cotton Bowl. Fans buying tickets off the secondary market versus from the school. I would imagine it is worse for the lower level bowls where attendance is not as good.

We’ve had those complaints every year we’ve competed in a bowl since I’ve been following the program.

The ticket allotment given to the school usually includes a pretty poor seat selection. There are no discounts on the price. It’s really hard to blame people for buying tickets in the secondary market when they can pay the same price or less and get a better seat.

But the bowls don’t care. The school is on the hook. Nothing it can do about it.

At least for the first half. :+1::smiley::+1: