8:00 p.m. Game Time

In the past, I would argue that start times did not matter. I was one of those that said nit-picking about start times was weak, an excuse, etc. I think the 8:00 p.m. start makes a difference. The Coogs usually have late arriving crowds. The later start time helped with traffic, more students at the game, and for a mid-week game, that atmosphere at the Fertitta Center was second to none. It was loud and the crowd stayed to the very end. I’m now in favor of the 8:00 p.m. start time. I’ve seen first hand that it makes a difference. 3…2…1…counter-argument: 8:00 p.m. is difficult on the families that have school age children on a school night. I get that. But, the later start time made a difference for the UH crowd. Late arriving, wearing red, and LOUD.

Go Coogs. Peace.

6 Likes

My wife is a school teacher. She cannot make it to 8pm games on weekdays. I prefer the 7pm, but I agree it is nice not having to rush to the arena.

1 Like

This time of year 8pm actually helps get to the game, because you are fighting rush hour traffic plus people doing their holiday shopping.

1 Like

I think 7:30 start times would even be something to consider. Just 30 extra minutes would help Coog fans so much in fighting the traffic and getting to the arena. I think 8 pm on a regular basis is a little too late. You have to remember that not everyone lives in close proximity to UH and are commuting from the surrounding suburbs and then have to drive back after the games.

1 Like

I agree. The issue is getting home at 11pm.

1 Like

That is why I am thinking 7:30 might be a little more reasonable.

It’s not really our decision most of the time…TV basically tells us when we play.

6 Likes

I prefer the 8pm time. It’s nice to be able to take your time and still get to a game early. Honestly, the game would normally end around 10pm but the fouls and other calls extended the game another 20 minutes. If the one hour of sleep makes that much of a difference, let someone else drive and take a nap on the way to the game and on the way back home. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Crowd was kind of disappointing when the game started, even the ESPN crew mentioned it was a “late arriving crowd”. What would it have looked like in the beginning if the game started at 7:00 or 7:30?

1 Like

Way better start time. I left westchase at 6:50 and was in seats by 7:30.

The Coogs won’t dictate any start times once Conf gms start. As mentioned controlled by League/TV carriers. Same w tonight being on ESPN that was solely controlled by ESPN to fit their Prime time schedule.

It sucked for me. I was in Philly so game time was 9:00 PM with a 4:00 AM wake up call this morning to catch a flight home. I was so jacked up after the game I’m not sure if I really slept. It was soooo worth it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Even so, our fans were late arriving and late getting into their seats. It’s Houston and traffic is horrid.

The traffic was horrible last night

1 Like

Dis :100:

That’s with every sport in Houston with the exception of the Astros. Because Minute Maid is so close to a neighborhood I suppose.

Katy freeway inbound was shut down for a time last night. That’s why traffic was so bad so late.

Also doesn’t help that there’s construction on two sides of the campus right now on 45 and 288.

1 Like