8 team playoff on the cards? Very likely!

The playoff ratings last year were up 18% from the previous year.

Frankly, I don’t see why the four additional NY6 bowls, on a rotating basis, couldn’t be worked into this. Using their example: Clemson-Houston in the Peach Bowl, Oklahoma-Iowa in the Fiesta Bowl, Michigan State-Stanford in the Rose Bowl, and Alabama-Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. I know they wouldn’t all be around New Year’s Day, but who cares?

Why not just incorporate the NY6 bowls as being early round playoff games? Sounds like a very easy remedy.

You would need extra advertised games to get extra money. No one is going to expand, if there’s no extra money.

posted on wrong thread

It would only be an additional week. You could have the first round on New Year’s. It would be huge. And the Super Bowl isn’t played now until early February, so you could have the second round of games around January 8th or so and the championship could be the following week or the week after. If it were the week after it would set up nicely as the lead-in to the Super Bowl the following week.

I would think they’d let the top G5 in IF they’re undefeated. I can understand why an 11-1 Georgia or Michigan or some such team would object to being passed over by an 11-2 Utah State.

1 Like

They will not use the NY6 games as playoff games because they already make money on the NY6 games. The networks and the conferences want extra games played earlier so they can make more money.

It all about money. $$$

The entire world uses a tournament to determine a champion including all other football levels below and above. I bet they already have a plan in place but they want to abuse FBS fans and laugh about it in their swanky hidden suites.