#9 UH vs. Memphis 3/7 @ 11AM CST CBS (W 67-64)

Lifting state mandate does not necessarily change university policy.

1 Like

I donā€™t expect the university to change this semester but I will be glad to take off my mask.

6 Likes

I said it on another thread, no one in our conference cries like Memphis. Every year. Every sport. Boohoo. :cry:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/hoop_power/status/1366808018101428226?s=19

1 Like

I guess I just donā€™t really understand why this matters. Why do we care that Memphis gets to better themselves and have a chance to play for a national title? As long as UH takes care of itā€™s business, why does it matter to us how many teams from the AAC get in? If Memphis was in our shoes, would they care about us getting in? Itā€™s similar to the argument of some on here earlier this year about preferring to lose to Cincy, in order for them to have a chance at a national championship. Why do we care? Our leagues have NEVER helped us out when we had a chance to play for a big bowl etc. I just donā€™t get it.

2 Likes

UHCoog, not being in any way partial to Memphis. My whole thought pattern is to gain more respect as a Basketball Conf it would help n be beneficial if 3-4 teams get an invite every year. Thatā€™s what I want n care abt but it doesnā€™t matter to me if you Care or not. I know CKS has been tooting the horn for other Teams in Conf to gain invite n therefore create respect for the AAC as Basketball Conf.

Edit: Also Iā€™m glad Coogs took adv of what was agreed upon and get Memphis at home on Sunday. I jyst thk Aresco could have done more to make thgs happen for teams on Bubble to gain traction n move needle in Net Rankings. At the eod Iā€™m like you, I want whatā€™s best for Coog basketball but also look at the big picture.
#GoCoogs

2 Likes

Well, I asked and you explained. I still donā€™t care but it makes sense. Lol

1 Like

for this specific topic, i think memphis in the wrongā€¦ but the general topic of why do we care what happens with our league ā€¦short term it doesnt matter, but long term it is essentialā€¦ESSENTIAL

negatitve recruiting is a thing, the worse our league is the harder it will be for us to recruitā€¦ coaches dont even deny it
https://twitter.com/BarstoolReags/status/1182650111547052032
perceived conference strength is huge in recruitingā€¦when that 1bid league label starts, it will be hard to remove

perception is also key for long term advancement in the tournament ā€¦ look at the big 10 this yearā€¦there will be multiple 8+ loss big 10 teams that will be given 1 and 2 seedsā€¦they have have very few big noncon wins, its being carried by perception alone ā€¦the better our league is percieved the easier it will be to sustain lossesā€¦

it is short sighted to not worry about the strength of the league

2 Likes

Very true. CUSA sucked.

1 Like

Gonzaga is in a low-end conference and has no problem recruiting.

2 Likes

15-20 yrs of sustainability & excellence.

1 Like

it took them 9-10 years of conference dominance to get that and conference making numerous compromised to make it work (only play 16 league games)

gonzaga is like 17 tourney team in 20 years, if you just go back 3-5 years, gonzaga branded themselves as a team that cant win on stars and talentā€¦ ā€œgonzaga is not an airport team, we dont intimidateā€ā€¦ they only recently started getting recruits (used to rely on international players)

banking on having 14 years of dominance consecutively, is hopeful but not what we should be banking on

1 Like

I donā€™t care if our conference mates win. I just want our part of the tournament credits. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I donā€™t care about other teams either but it is essential that we have a great conference. It is almost as important that we keep great coaches in place. That type of stability built the Big East back in the day. Carneseca, Mass, Calhoun, Thompson, Boeheim. They were there for years.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/status/1366978746146820097?s=19

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/munzly/status/1366973969199423493?s=19

Memphis guard- Boogie Ellis

Last night, Memphis looked a little tired in the second half from coming back from the Covid pause. Will be interesting to see how they play against us in our second half. They were also impacted by the winter storms and did not get to work out during that time as well.

THE CHRISTIAN ALSO HAD AN ā€œOPPORTUNITYā€ VERSUS THE LION.

Also Hardaways thoughts are overpriced at a penny!

1 Like

Too early in the morning!

I know weā€™ve talked about the non basketball parts of the is game, But lets look at the basketball aspects

Memphis is #1 nationally on defense in kenpom. They are going to be full court pressing the entire game, while having Cisse just stand in the post as a shot blockerā€¦
We are going to need a big game from dejon, the drive and kick to shooters after beating the initial press should be there. I do worry about press if dejon is out of the game .
Theyll give us true iso if itā€™s 3s and and midranges, which are what grimes and sasser prefer anyways, so they should be able to get up some shots up

Offensively for them, we have a huge edge on them. They are naturally turnover prove, and our length has been giving team issue all yearā€¦there will be memphis turnoversā€¦ Their guards arent great off the bounce, and their bigs arent very good offensively. They have good scorer in Nolley but nolley is very similar to derrick alston, who we handledā€¦making a lot of prayer 3s, is the only way i see them putting point on us

Rebounding will be a tossup. Cisse has a 9ā€™4 reach and crazy bouncy, Deandre Williams is a huge ball of energy ā€¦and they are desperate for a win. We have better rebounding numbers, we also have a weight advantageā€¦so who knows ā€¦ If they are to have a chance itā€™s right here

we blow them out, and comfortablyā€¦ or its a low scoring slugfest

3 Likes