A little perspective on the bowl game please

And as a result we will stay away from relevance in the college football world until major’s buyout is affordable.

2 Likes

You are what your record says you are. Major’s record is 7-6. With Ed Oliver.

If he goes 6-6 next year or worse (in Ed Oliver’s final season), he gets fired. If he goes 7-5 next year, there will be a raging debate on whether he deserves another year. The only thing that would save him at 7-5 next year is the cost of the buyouts.

IMO he needs to go 8-4 or better in 2018 to be assured of coaching here in 2019.

We have a new AD. He’s not going to tolerate for long watching our season ticket sales fall from 23,000 to 17,000 to 14,000 or whatever it is next year with this godawful offense (by UH standards).

4 Likes

This statement is complete nonsense. We had a bad break on the pick six. Other than that, we were in the game, in spite of the fact that they were shutting us down offensively. All the ADD fans who need a point a minute or it’s “boring” need to grow up.

I know the program needs work, we all know that, but to say the team can’t handle adversity is ridiculous. We’d be 0-12 if that were true.

I’d be surprised if a single fan would argue against that. Especially with 3 must wins in our OOC schedule.

The ratio of overcoming adversity vs. falling victim to it leans pretty heavily to one direction this season. There’s little to no debate about that.

We also had a “good” break on the blocked punt td return. In the whole, our “O” was terrible. O line run blocking has been terrible all year. Receivers blocking all year has been terrible. Watching other bowl games this year, I’ve seen teams that have receivers that can block. Should be required viewing for all receivers planning to play next year . . . .

1 Like

I’ll take a border line black balled coaching prospect over a golden egg that thus far resembles a fried egg. Any coach we hire that becomes successful is going to leave. Unfortunately for UH, the die is cast.

Kiffin turned around a 3-9 program into a 11-3 program. I expect he’ll finish 12-2 or better next season with K. Briles as his OC. His next job will be far better than than NCState. Kiffin broke into the coaching ranks very young. He’s only 42 years old and he’s been a HC for ten years. I’m not particularly interested in Kiffin coming to UH. I’m more interested in Kendal Briles.

1 Like

Man, I sure disagree with you. How a team responds has everything to do with coaching, which UH has very little of that is any good. The Cougars offense was boring…period. Where have you been the last 10 years to know what Cougar football had become known for? Did you see any Case Keenum years?

More BS. Go away.

If you listen to him, he thinks he is doing a good job

Good coaching can dramatically alter a team’s record (or people would never fire coaches).
Telford went from double digit losses to double digit wins…same players.
Levine had two losing seasons and Herman goes 13-1
Alabama was truly mediocre for a decade until Saban arrived.
Same with Stoops at OU
Wazzu before Leach
Briles at Baylor
Kiffin at FAU.

Coaches job is to make sure players know what they are doing, and do it efficiently, before the player ever hits the field. It is ALL on the coaches.

1 Like

During the halftime show of last year Las Vegas Bowl while we were ahead, some one from the SDS side sent the announcer a note which predicted the outcome of the second half. To paraphrase - watch what good coaching can do. We were then proceeded to be out-coached the remainder of the game. They know our plays before we called them. Even the fans knew our plays before we called them. We do nothing to adjust. Bubble screens and run up the middle don’t work so well when they know what’s coming.

This coaching staff do nothing to adjust. That is why we are consistently a terrible second half team. The only significant game we won, USF, we won because we got lucky. This coaching staff can’t coach.

3 Likes

Here is another perspective -

Coach a bad game - we lose

Coach the same game again - we lose again

Do it again?

How many time till it hit you in the head. Time for a change.

I only partially agree. 2015 was what is was because of player execution. We do not have the players to execute our offense. WRs can’t get a block consistently - doomsday for WR screens of any type and RB sweeps. O-line can’t control the LOS consistently - doomsday for any between the tackle runs.

What’s left is a QB pass or scramble. That’s what we did Sunday and a very good defense stuffed it except on the last drive.

What the coaches need to do is finesse. Someone on Coogfans pointed out the Yeoman’s Veer worked because it was a finesse offense that didn’t try to overpower you (like say Ohio State, Alabama, and Texas in the 60’s and 70’s).

I worry though that the problem is deeper than finesse. I watched our O-line carefully this year and against the better teams or the good players on the bad teams, they are over-matched athletically. Not agile enough to move with a bull-rushing DT or DE or to slide left or right to pick up a blitz.

I don’t know if any of our O-line recruits are any better. Maybe Alexander. I watched his film and he seems to move pretty good - against JUCO competition. One thing he does that our guys don’t is move downfield with the play to pick up extra blocks.

1 Like

On the drive that King has the ball tipped for a pick six, we basically stopped running the ball and did not do anything to help King. It is the fourth quarter… could we not send motion of a jet sweep to throw off the linebackers for a second or two. How about putting Catalon and Car in the backfield together on each side of King? When the game was on the line, we didn’t have any wrinkles and got very one dimensional. Fresno State made a nice play on the pick six, but we didn’t help King out either.

1 Like

Well we don’t have to worry then because Applewhite is very unlikely to get any team to a top 15 finish with this offense and this DC.

A player like King needs to roll out and the offense needs to stop running between the tackles. King is only about 5’9" so why do we have him dropping straight back most the time where he can’t see the field over the lineman ? Brian Johnson wasn’t the problem