A real D1 playoff

I was right. The fat men did it.

16 just seems like saturation.

Like in any season would teams seeded 13-16 would ever realistically win a title - four consecutive playoff games?

Instead they should go with 8 if they expand. Still makes the regular season meaningful, won’t have to reduce regular season, and is good for the athletes themselves to balance school and football.

5 BCS champs
1 G5 rep
2 at large

13-16 probably not a real chance to go all the way. But don’t you love cheering for the Cinderellas during basketball tournament? 13-16 can definitely be spoilers. And what about 9-12? if number 8 wins it all one year, there would still be doubts about whether they were really the best team. If you include 16 teams, no one can seriously complain about the outcome.

Athletics is not about being realistic. There have already been multiple examples of “small” schools beating P5s. Let the conference champions have their shot. Let them decide their fate on the field of play. 9 times out of 10 they will probably get knocked off. Me personally, I want to see the one time they pull off the upset. I think most fans would also find it entertaining. imo

it’s an interesting take on #9 being upset about being left out, but here’s the record for every 9th ranked team in the AP poll before the bowl season this decade:

2016 USC 9-3
2015 FSU 10-2
2014 Miss 9-3
2013 MO 11-2
2012 LSU 10-2
2011 Wis 11-2
2010 OU 11-2

As you can see every one of them had already suffered two defeats. So twice they failed on the field in proving themselves. That alone would nullify their argument.

Secondarily a G5 team would automatically get an invite in the 8 team playoff. If you’re to argue that Team 9 has a case to be invited as they ‘could’ have won it all, then you also have to admit that the G5 qualifier in some seasons would be a lot worse than Team 9, certainly in terms of making it out of the tournament.

The compromise would be a 12 team playoff, with the 4 top seeds getting a bye.
Top 4
5th BCS champ
2 G5 reps (must be ranked in top 25)
5 at large bids

The 8 team playoff I think affords almost every deserving team a shot. Especially since a G5 is guaranteed a slot (assuming they are a top 25 team, for instance).

And the excitement factor from 8 to 16 isn’t too much I would say. Certainly no bigger than from 4 to 8.

The goal should be be for a better playoff and not a utopian playoff. Any playoff system that forces the power conferences to realign or treat all G5 champions as guaranteed access over much better teams, will never be approved by the powers that be. Might as well call those scenarios “fantasy d1 playoffs.”

The next step should be 8 teams. 6 auto bids to the 6 highest ranked conference champions, regardless of conference and 2 at large bids for the highest ranked non champs. This not only guarantees 1 G5 champion but would actually reward two G5 champs if one of the P5 champs was ranked lower.

This is simple and realistic, I like it.

What, are you nuts? If the P5’s let the G5 champs get into the playoffs, they may actually win the whole shooting match. That would mean with each advancing game, a G5 would make more money that would otherwise go to a P5. You don’t want more money for everybody – you only want it for the P5’s for crying out loud. It would also burst the bubble of exclusivity of P5’s. Then what would you have? Equality? You can’t be letting that kind of thing happen.

2 Likes

This conversation always makes me look at conference realignment.

We really need to get into a better conference. That should be Aunt Renu and Uncle Tillman’s focus, followed by expanding the play-off to 8 teams, followed by improving AAC. We shouldn’t neglect one of those goals by going all in with one of those goals. All three of those should be the focus.

I know we’ve covered it before, but AAC needs to consider going to a 16 team conference.
Drop Tulsa and East Carolina, add BYU, UNLV, San Diego State, San Jose State, Air Force and Army

That gives you (media market rankings):
Army (1)
UConn (30)
Temple (4)
Navy (7)
Cincinnati (32)
Memphis (50)
South Florida (11)
UCF (19)
SMU (5)
Houston (10)
Tulane (51)
Air Force (89)
BYU (100+)
San Jose St (6)
San Diego St (28)
UNLV (40)

AAC should go to a full 20 members. Play 9 intra division games and 3 non conference games. Really improves the odds of sending two 12-0 into the conference title game.

AAC West:
Houston
SMU
UTSA
Memphis
Tulsa
Tulane
New Mexico
Colorado State
Boise State
San Diego

AAC East:
UCF
USF
Army
Navy
Air Force
Uconn
Cincinnati
ECU
Temple
Appalachian State
Western Kentucky

Why is the West overloaded with better teams than the East?

Isn’t that how it is now?

If it started tomorrow here is the very first true national championship tourny.

Top 8 play at home.

I would be interested in all 8 of these games as opposed to what we have now which is nothing but scrimmages after the conferences are done playing.

First Round
1 Georgia vs 16 Troy
2 Bama vs 15 FAU
3 Notre Dame vs 14 Boise State
4 Clemson vs 13 Toledo
5 OU vs 12 UCF
6 OSU vs 11 Washington
7 PSU vs 10 Miami
8 TCU vs 9 Wisconsin

The #3 through #5 match ups are all very intriguing.
Even the #1 UGA v Troy since Troy dominated LSU this year.

Much more entertaining than what they have now.

Yep.

Yea and that’s a disadvantage.

Every one of the top 5 conferences that has divisions has one division that’s substantially stronger than the other. The B1G East, the SEC West, the ACC Atlantic and the Pac-12 North are all set up to be substantially stronger than their counterparts on an annual basis. The Big 12 South was, too, and would be again if they split.

1 Like

Check out the 2nd round with no upsets. What is not to like if you are a P5?

Georgia vs TCU
Bama vs Penn State
Notre Dame vs Ohio State
Clemson vs Oklahoma

How about Lane Kiffin vs Bama?

That is an ESPN wet dream!