A Thought About The Large Number of Transfers

That’s right. I always forget that TCU was going put his fabulous arm out to pasture. But who convinced King he would be a QB at UH, Herman or Applewhite?

1 Like

Like Applewhite?

4 Likes

applewhite was a continuity hire…he was OC for Herman…remember? Just like Levine, who was special teams for sumlin…

please, no more continuity hires…hire a young and hungry first time head coach out of a good P5 school…like, um. Herman and Sumlin…and…wait for it…Art Briles…our 3 successful coaches since the revival were young and hungry first time head coaches out of good P5 schools (texas tech, purdue and ohio state)…our two BAD coaches were continuity hires–levine and applewhite…

and holgerson could seen as a delayed continuity hire–he was OC for sumlin here…remember?

I don’t agree with you about Holgs but was somewhat with your logic until the delayed continuity hire point. That’s not a real thing. Lol

5 Likes

“delayed continuity hire” is my invention…I am an innovator!

1 Like

I don’t think Oliver comes here without Herman making that sales pitch that we could be the next Miami if all the locals stayed in town. I think he was heavily leaning LSU at that point.

1 Like

Anyone in their right mind would.

1 Like

Sumlin came from OU.
Young and hungry and then move on. Holgs came here After being at many schools, many positions including a P5 HC.
Oliver was a lifelong LSU fan but Dad told him to come UH.

I’d say it was a draw !

I have no doubt whatsoever that Holgorsen knows what he is doing.

3 Likes

Bingo

3 Likes

The roster turnover is quite large. Quite. The recruiting was obviously a problem. I would speculate that had a lot to do with Major’s firing. Simply put would 2019 project to be any better than 2018, especially given the tougher schedule?

Maybe y’all are right. I guess I don’t know the full story. Regardless, I’m glad he chose us.

we hired him from Stevensville High School, not from a P5…correction…Tech, But I wouldnt act like its a good P5…average at best.

Art was the RB coach at Tx Tech (2-3 years) when we hired him.

They were in year 3 of Mike Leach. 23-16 in those three years (7 wins, 7 wins and 9 wins) coming off a win over Clemson in the Tangerine Bowl. They were light years ahead of UH when Briles, with a huge endorsement from the almighty Bill Yeoman, came here.

1 Like

Some guys, signees in the new class included, where given a chance to opt-out so to speak if the new staff thought they were not a fit for what they want to do.

Some are forgetting that Applewhite brought in as many or more transfers because of talent and depth issues. The roster wasn’t nearly as strong after 2016 as some believe. IIRC, we signed 10-12 regular and grad transfers in ‘17-‘18, including Isaiah Chambers, Derrion Owens, Deontay Anderson, Nick Watkins, Reggie Chevis, Deon Mix, Raelon Singleton, Ellis Jefferson, Quentin Dormady, Patrick Carr, and maybe one or two I can’t recall. It really hurt the defense last year when Owens, Garrett Davis, and Chambers were all lost to injury by the third game.

4 Likes

I Definitely don’t put a lot of this on Applewhite. 2 head coaching changes in 2 years eventually catches up to you at some point. Throw in that Herman did a poor job recruiting defense while he was here and there were some huge gaps that were going to pop up no matter what. Applewhite even mentioned a couple of times prior to seasons about how he was having trouble with depth because of the lack of scholarship players.

I also don’t think Applewhite was a poor recruiter and think we have a lot of guys that will play important parts in the next few seasons that he brought in. Now, did he have roster management issues? Definitely. The lack of CBs on the roster was a huge warning sign that should have been dealt with prior to CDH getting here. QB was another area that had an alarming lack of depth…something that’s hard to believe considering Applewhite’s pedigree. Guessing the change in assistants at those 2 positions after his 1st full year may have had something to do with depth issues…but, then, why didn’t Applewhite get more involved?

5 Likes

Bingo…I’ll give Applewhite a pass on recruiting and roster depth. As much as I hate to say it and I said it before, I don’t think one could even judge Herman’s recruiting because of the decommits when he left, either the one’s he took or the ones that went elsewhere (thinking of the WR who ended up in Florida).
Applewhite’s failure was his coordinator hires…all pretty much disasters, I’ll include little Briles in that group too

6 Likes