A Thought About The Large Number of Transfers

Applewhite has no friends that wanted to work for him.

2 Likes

Definitely have to agree with you. I think we got more publicity and have a better rep from that timeframe than somebody like Memphis has gotten with their consistency since they brought on Norvell. He’ll, UCF was winless only a few years ago and now look at them. Better to burn bright and flameout than the alternative, I guess.

And looking back, we were close to hiring Lincoln Riley after Herman left which would have been a home run hire. If Stoops doesn’t step down, we likely get a solid replacement.

4 Likes

Applewhite was a victim of a team rattled by injuries but hiring coach No D may have been his biggest downfall
and the humiliating loss to Army put the icing on his farewell cake IMO

2 Likes

It’s very interesting that you mention Snyder in this thread about transfers because Snyder made his living ioff transfers/juco players. He knew he couldn’t only recruit the traditional way, and UH as a G5 needs to do the same thing.

1 Like

Qwan,

I disagree a little with your statement. In Kansas, there are few recruits and most that are good go out of state. We have a large pool from which to recruit in the Houston metro plus throughout Texas and Louisiana, plus transfers and Juco’s. Once we start winning big again. we have the ability to stock up with local talent and with depth we won’t need to use Juco’s as much.

Yeah, Kansas State would typically fight it out with Iowa State to be the cellar dwellers in Big 12 recruiting rankings. So that’s another indicator of what a great coach Snyder, a quiet guy, kind of like Tom Landry, was. So he didn’t belong on a field coaching a football team according to some.

But having said that the good news is recruiting is really picking up under Holgorsen. Look for the ‘20 class to be closer to the 2016 group than others the past decade or two. We have already beaten A&M, not to mention Tennessee, Nebraska, Mizzou for a local OL recruit for the first time in ages, and Sellers reports we’re on the verge of getting a top Louisiana recruit who also had offers from A&M, Tennessee, Penn State, and others. That would be two recruits (obviously have to hold on to them but it’s not as if they need to wait for a “better” offer) with Aggy offers when I don’t think we have signed a player with an A&M offer other than Ed Oliver going back roughly 25 years. The recruits showing serious interest in UH are a definite cut above what we have seen in a some time.

2 Likes

Because if they didnt go out of state they would have to continue living in Kansas.