A Very Telling Comment?

Post SMU Game Coach Sampson was asked where he missed Grimes and Jarreau the most when they fouled out.

His one word reply was “Nowhere”.

Line-up changes on Wednesday? Stay tuned.

1 Like

Don’t read too much into that. Coach was just frustrated. That’s not way he speaks out on his players. I would say 1 of the 2 will be starting on Wed.

4 Likes

Probably meant for Grimes. Until screwed by the refs on last 2 fouls, I thought DeJon was in control.

8 Likes

Exactly. He couldn’t have been displeased with Dejon’s game for sure.

Quintin’s the guest player tonite at radio show

3 Likes

I took it to mean we have a deep team and there is little to no drop off when somebody goes out. I think Sampson was mad and defending the other players.

13 Likes

I wish I could figure Grimes and that we could count on him to score decently – not great, just decently – in every game, but he has awesome games or sorry games and few in the middle.

3 Likes

Fabian was a no show in this game also. Not sure if it is a match up issue or what, but he didn’t see the floor a lot in this game.

Good post!!

He Showed up! He was just NO bueno unfortunately.

I’m sorry, all of the platitudes and one and done NBA stuff about Grimes. I just don’t see it. If you are that good, how do you dissappear?
Hopefully another year or two will help, but he is simply not there yet.

4 Likes

I still pull for Grimes. It is inevitable that he will take off and become a solid player

3 Likes

I like Quentin a lot. A great teammate and a talented player. He’s just up and down. But he’s always going to be a kid people can’t stay mad at. He’s simply too congenial. And we Coog fans are very loyal to team players. Always have been. Maybe a product of our collective bunker mentality.

3 Likes

Fabian seems to have mailed it in some of these road games. Except for Oregon and BYU, Fabian has scored less that five points in each game we have lost. Four games, ten points total. Inexplicable production for a starting forward

4 Likes

He seems to play better against very good big men.

I agree. It should be at least that production.

This is the telling comment…everyone should read this…

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1229575649565794304

6 Likes

something i always keep in mind when looking at grimes… he is a very young sophomore… he is only 19…he is the same age as sasser and mills…

but because he looks older and was a 5 star was expected to have the fortitude of a senior…
(age context: memphis star freshman precious is 1.5 years older than grimes )

2 Likes

Robert, I pull for everyone in a UH uniform. Sometimes they play well, other times they don’t. Just because one points out the obvious, such as our players’ lack of consistency, doesn’t mean we don’t suuport them or don’t like them. It is just a fact of this team this year; hopefully they can snap out of it down the stretch.

1 Like

This…sometimes I think many of our fans have expectations that exceed reality.
We are currently tied for first place in our league with a very young team. I think we have a great shot of winning our conference and moving on to the big Dance. How far we go in that tourney I have no idea. But you can bet I will be rooting them along the way…and when it is over I will start thinking about next year with our kids a year older.
What I love about this team is that we have had different individuals step up in games…this is not and never will be a one pony show under Sampson.
For those thinking Mills and Hinton and Grimes would be turning pro, I doubt that very seriously. I think these young men continue to get better under one of the best coaches in the business.
And while I believe we are a much better team with Deeky running the show, I agree with Randy that he probably isn’t going to get many calls go his way the rest of the year. I think there is a possibility he moves on to the next level next year, whether it be here or overseas. I know it sounds funny but he reminds me of former Rocket Vernon Maxwell. Really good defensive player, hustles and score at the rim.
Tomorrow night’s game against Tulsa is a must win for our Coogs…I am certainly not calling this one a UH blowout…they have proven they can beat us…but I will be there wanting another big UH win…
We are going to need to win our three home games and at least split on the road IMO…and if Memphis will continue to lay down I think we have a good shot at that…
But don’t forget Memphis is very young also and no doubt will be pumped to play us. Heck, everyone is pumped to play us…
See you guys tomorrow night…

5 Likes

I agree with you butch! I think we go 4-1 rest of the way & hopefully improve our seeding!

1 Like