AAC basketball on rise, in mix for three NCAA Tournament bids

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-aac-tournament-20180305-story.html

“We’re definitely on the upswing in basketball,” commissioner Mike Aresco said Monday during a call with media members. “We have the best roster of coaches that are a second-to-none group … that’s why I am so optimistic in basketball for this conference.”

But it’s been a long, hard-fought battle to change the perception of the league after it split with the Big East in 2013. It’s one of the reasons the league added mid-major power Wichita State to the lineup this season.

“We knew they would elevate our league,” Aresco said of the addition of the Shockers. “They’ve galvanized the league. We think the league is on the cusp of being one of the best leagues in America.”

2 Likes

Just need one of Memphis/UConn to get back to old form and SMU to recorrect its upward trend.

1 Like

I really think we (AAC) should challenge the big east to an early season tourney. That’d be fun.

4 Likes

Or the PAC12 since they no longer have a partner for one.

3 Likes

I think I’d just rather participate in the PAC12’s year-end tournament. :wink:

3 Likes

It only matters if the teams advance. One and done does nothing to help the image of the conference.