AAC Bowl Schedule

Hoping the conference does well this bowl season and we can get 4 teams ranked in the end of season polls:

2016 AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE BOWL SCHEDULE

AutoNation Cure Bowl - Dec. 17
Camping World Stadium - Orlando, Fla.
UCF (6-6) vs. Arkansas State (7-5), 5:30 p.m.
Television: CBS Sports Network
Series: UCF leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: Oct. 5, 1991 – UCF, 31-20

Las Vegas Bowl - Dec. 17
Sam Boyd Stadium – Las Vegas, Nev.
Houston (9-3) vs. San Diego State (10-3), 3:30 p.m.
Television: ABC
Series: Houston leads, 2-0
Last Meeting: Oct. 6, 1973 – Houston, 14-9

Miami Beach Bowl - Dec. 19
Marlins Park – Miami, Fla.
Tulsa (9-3) vs. Central Michigan (6-6), 2:30 p.m.
Television: ESPN
Series: Tied, 1-1
Last Meeting: Oct. 17, 1987 – Central Michigan, 41-18

Boca Raton Bowl - Dec. 20
FAU Stadium – Boca Raton, Fla.
Memphis (8-4) vs. Western Kentucky (10-3), 7 p.m.
Series: First meeting

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl – Dec. 23
Amon G. Carter Stadium – Fort Worth, Texas
Navy (9-3) vs. Louisiana Tech, 4:30 p.m.
Series: Navy leads, 2-0
Last Meeting: Sept. 18, 2010 – Navy, 37-23

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman – Dec. 27
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium – Annapolis, Md.
Temple (10-3) vs. Wake Forest (6-6) , 3:30 p.m.
Series: Temple leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: Nov. 1, 1930 - Temple, 36-0

Birmingham Bowl – Dec. 29
Legion Field – Birmingham, Ala.
USF (10-2) vs. South Carolina, 2 p.m.
Series: South Carolina leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: Sept. 18, 2004 – South Carolina, 34-3

I think if we can have a good record in the bowls, it would give more weight to the “Power 6” push.

1 Like

On the other hand, the matchups being against only two “P5” schools doesn’t help in that regard.

1 Like

True :pensive:…BUT winning is Winning! :wink:

our bowls are terrible!!! We play 2 lousy P5 teams who dont even have a winning record!!!
Houston has by far the best opponent, and that was a special set up by ESPN to match us with MWC champ…Claiming this league is P6 is laughable…Get TV money and decent bowl tie ins and then talk to me…we HAVE to make the jump when BIG and PAC tv deals expire in 5 years…

We are the only nonP5 conference with multiple tie-ins to bowls with P5 opponents. The others have one or none. P5 wants to limit damage to their brands by avoiding embarrassing losses.

2 Likes

We have to win both of those.

The most concerning out of those bowl games is the Memphis vs Western Kentucky. However, WKY has coaching rumors swirling about Cincinnati. The AAC has much less coaching turnover this season than last, which should translate into a better bowl record this year for the AAC. Niumatalolo was flirting with BYU, Rhule was flirting with another job, Fuentes left Memphis, etc. This year, we are the only bowl team without a coach or in danger of losing a coach.

UCF is gonna win. Thanks to Frost shutting down coaching rumors
Tulsa should handle CMU
I think Brohm leaves and Memphis pulls out an easy win.
Navy is gonna be pissed, win.
Temple is so good right now, and that is close to home, so good crowd.
USF has no defense, but South Carolina has no offense. So… toss up.

Houston… I hope the guys come out hungry. SDSU’s RB is legit.

I can’t say I’ve watched SDSU play this year. Their RB has great numbers, but who have they played? They have one win over a P5 (45-40 over Cal), so it’s kind of hard to tell how good they’ll really be. On the other hand, their strength (running) plays right into our strength (rushing defense). SDSU is averaging 273/game on the ground and only 145/game in the air. If we can come out and limit their rushing attack early and get them down a couple of scores, we should cruise to victory.

I think if our guys come out motivated, we should win fairly easily. But that’s a big IF.

2 Likes

We could absolutley destroy them, if… This RB will have nightmare’s about Ed Oliver, but we needed a motivated coaching staff and senior leaders to accomplish that.

100% correct. I’m hoping we can name a new coach this week, which will give the guys some time to wrap their minds around it, get on board and go out and win a bowl game. We need to give these seniors a proper send off.

1 Like

But do they run up the middle? or down the sides?

And Jeff Brohm is going to Purdue. Good luck WKY…

Pro-style… Big Oline

Hope every AAC school wins and every Big 12 team loses miserably.

3 Likes

The optics of having our AAC champion, Temple, play Wake Forest in the Military Bowl is pretty bad. If the AAC wants to represent as a P6, they need a lot better marquee game.

At least our champion isn’t playing the 4th place team in the West division of the Mountain West conference.

3 Likes

TRUTH!!!