AAC Coaching Hotseat (Underdog Dynasty)

Dana Holgorsen - Houston

Hot Seat Status = Well, it’s complicated

2 Likes

It’s now or never for Holgerson.

2 Likes

It all depends on what you are expecting now. If you are expecting an AAC championship, it may take another year; if you are expecting a 9 win or better season, I think we will have that. However, we also may take the AAC championship. I’ve got an idea, let’s just all go to the games and see for ourselves.

13 Likes

I hope you’re right. I want desperately for Dana to succeed, not the least of which is all of Tilman’s support for the athletic department. Tilman’s had a tough couple of years sports wise. I’d like to see him vindicated on this side of town.

3 Likes

See, I’ll put it this way for you to understand without tip toeing… If UH doesn’t start off at 4-0 to start the season, I’ll be disappointed :blush: have a nice day, Go Coogs :paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints:

2 Likes

I’m disappointed with every loss, but if we go 10-2, I would rather lose earlier and not hurt our conference record.

1 Like

For sure, losing early is better than losing late, but the real test IMO for us this year (pretty much every year) is beating Memphis and SMU. If we do that, then I will lay off Dana, because then he would finally begin to earn that fat paycheck that Tilman is footing the bill for.

How much buzz will there be if we don’t win any big games? To me, we need to start off by beating Texas Tech and then no more than two losses with this easy schedule. The Texas Tech game will draw eyeballs to the TV sets. If we lose, I think Dana will have a hard time getting support from the fans moving forward.

5 Likes

We are going to have a great year because of our schedule and everybody will back on the Dana train. Then reality will hit us smack in the face the following year and we’ll be back to where we are. Rinse. Repeat.

The fastest way to killed a buzz is to lose right away to Tech.

1 Like

I must be missing something. Yes we miss Cincinnati and UCF, but Memphis, Navy, SMU, Temple, Tulane, and Tulsa are not the pushovers you think they are. I don’t get where you guys are thinking our schedule next year will be easy.

2 Likes

You guys amaze me. I just don’t understand how you can be so negative; it’s like you want failure so you can gloat about it and say I told you so. Well, I am expecting a really good year and the season does not rest on the result of one game – regardless of which one it is.

2 Likes

Based upon ending 2020 Sagarin ratings (Tech - 62; Rice - 116; Grambling - 228; Navy - 101; Tulsa - 57; Tulane - 68; ECU - 104; SMU - 72; Temple - 127; Memphis - 70; UConn - 164), the schedule ain’t great. I don’t think anyone could say it is anything but cupcake comparative to what we have normally scheduled.

2 Likes

Not trying to knock players but the qb play needs to improve.

2 Likes

Idk, Mike. I’m usually optimistic about the outlook after an offseason to get the bad taste out of my mouth from a losing season, but this year I’m just not feeling it. Perhaps I question some of Dana’s decisions. Why not try to upgrade the QB position? Despite Tune’s talent I think there’s plenty of room for improvement at this position. I also thought he would bring in a new OC to increase scoring. That didn’t happen either.

After watching Dana’s offense for the last few years I’ve come to the conclusion that his scheme is outdated And needs to be changed or tweaked. This is where I thought a new OC would help. Adding a few talented players will certainly help but that alone isn’t enough to be successful. As you know, there are lots of unsuccessful coaches running P5 programs loaded with three, four, and five star players. Talent alone doesn’t necessarily translate into success on the field. I would love to be wrong, though

1 Like

Last years finishing rating means nothing for this year. We aren’t the only teams trying to improve, these teams will have more experience and new players coming in as well. If we were to base their results for this year, it would only seem right to do the same for us. But, it doesn’t work that way. Some teams get better, some will be worse. I think UH will be in the get better category.

2 Likes

I think the reason they didn’t try to upgrade over Tune is because they didn’t think it was likely.
Dana seems to have a lot of confidence in Tune and Dana is not exactly easy to please.

1 Like

If a loss or two, or seven or eight runs “fans” off, then I do not understand the meaning of “fan” . . . . . a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward some controversial matter . . . . . according to MerriamWebster, we have many posting on Coogfans who ARE NOT fans . . . . . JMHO

1 Like

I am with you Ben. I can’t understand the term “fair weather fan.” To me it should be "fair weather spectator. " Barring any medical condition that would preclude me from attending a home game, I will be there – regardless of record. I will make some away games as well; again regardless of record.

1 Like

I’m not going to throw furniture at Dana. But if he doesn’t get traction this year I will be disappointed.
Still a big fan of everything Scarlet and White (trimmed in blue.)

2 Likes