AAC Commish: 8 conf games, and as many non-conf. as possible

It relates to my original thought of, why are we (UH) doing this? What do we stand to lose? I would assume AAC has to have similar discussions that the SEC and Pac 12 are having with players.

2 Likes

All the schools have to do is say that those who pull out lose their scholarships and will be replaced by others who want a scholarship, of whom there are plenty. It’s kind of like when the pros went on strike and were replaced by others. I don’t remember all of these kids complaining when they “were blessed to receive an offer” from whatever university they chose.

2 Likes

I do know that UH players and coaches all had a meeting to discuss protocols for safe practices before they began. Strength and conditioning had been in place before and they were to report their workouts to the coach. There were no demands or threats of not playing. They wanted to know that steps were in place for a safe comeback after some positive Covid cases. The fact that they had a open discussion and came to a mutual agreement meant hey could begin with no distractions.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m sorry. Don’t see this as an apples to apples situation. These are not “normal” conditions and if teams weren’t going to bankrupt their athletic departments, I think it is reasonable to conclude that they would not be asking their athletes to play football.

The 1st college that yanks a scholarship because a student would not play due to Covid, would get sued into the stone age and lose, not to mention a life time of horrific publicity.

Is a student at The Honors College being asked to report for face to face classes or lose their scholarship?

3 Likes

Just move it to Spring and be done with it for now. If MLB and all their resources can’t avoid a breakout there is zero chance college football can avoid it.

These kids aren’t talking about sitting out due to COVID, but a bunch of other things.

From the article:
"To ensure future generations of college athletes will be treated fairly, #WeAreUnited.

Because NCAA sports exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes, #WeAreUnited.

In rejecting the NCAA’s claim that #BlackLivesMatter while also systematically exploiting Black athletes nationwide, #WeAreUnited."

And if the Honors student refused to do his work because he didn’t like the way the admin handles things, he would fail.

One could make the case that playing football during a pandemic would qualify as exploitation, but I believe each individual should have the right to choose if they want to play or not.

1 Like

Certainly, each individual should choose if they want to play during pandemic as well as normal circumstances. In normal circumstances, if they choose not to play, the school can withdraw it’s scholarship.

No one is exploiting the kids, they do their best to get those scholarships they voluntarily take. They are given a chance at an education many, if not most, would not otherwise have. If they are only looking for a route to the pros, they are shorting themselves. The colleges offer them every advantage possible, tutors, learning labs, etc., to earn their degrees. If they blow it because they are betting on the pros and it doesn’t turn out, it is on them, not the colleges.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I just get really tired of all these “demands.”

3 Likes

I don’t care about the demands. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some of them are not reasonable. I am merely trying to show the difference between the pros and college. It seems to me college football is hell bent on playing to preserve revenue, not out of an interest in providing educational opportunity to students who otherwise would not have it. If it was about the latter, would we even be having this discussion? If that’s the case, let’s just call it what it is, a business, and the players are employees.

1 Like

Just follow some of the FCS and push until spring but we (G5) rather wait to see what P5 will do and they don’t even care about us. P5 can get some folks killed and there 29 more who’ll risk everything to take their place but 1 death is a nail in the coffin for us.

If you have vaccine progress then you can salvage something but now it’s not worth it. We still will have to make sure everyone associated with the program will get the vaccine and how it’ll be distributed is an issue also if there’s enough.

College football has been a business for a long time

3 Likes