AAC commissioner upset over 'double standard' in College Football Playoff rankings

American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco said the 13-member College Football Playoff selection committee has ranked the teams in his conference using a “double standard,” not just when measured against the Power 5 conferences, but also the other Group of 5 leagues.

“Each time I’ve watched the release of the rankings, I’ve seen an unfortunate predictability, and why wouldn’t I be upset?” Aresco said Wednesday. “I’m not criticizing the committee personally, I’ve never done that, but what I’m doing is I’m trying to take the committee to task on their methodology and their conclusions. I want to point out the facts. My feeling is this conference has been undervalued and disrespected since the CFP began.”

“We’ve been fighting what I think is a P5 preference,” Aresco said. “We’ve been fighting it for years and we’re fighting now a double standard when it comes to evaluating G5 teams.”

When asked if there was any comment in response, CFP executive director Bill Hancock said, “Certainly, I feel that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.”

2 Likes

I don’t believe a word this guy say, not one.

5 Likes

He’s not wrong. There’s no real reason why App State or Boise State is ranked in the same tier as our conference teams based on schedule strength.

7 Likes

Welcome to world controlled by the Tv networks Bill.

Where have you been.

Face facts, the G conferences are toothless.

5 Likes

He missed Navy getting its clocked cleaned on Saturday.
I agree we’re the best g5…but we ain’t 5 teams in the top 25 good yet.

1 Like

Agreed. I don’t get how app state is ranked in the cfp top 25. Makes no sense to me.

3 Likes

The only way I can see it is if they are using past seasons’ results as well (which they aren’t supposed to do).

2 Likes

That is right Patrick but why did he sell out the G5’s This guy has no integrity.
The other way to look at it is he “heard/read” rumours that some of his top Schools are in the process of leavig the AAC.
In my my book he exeplify corruption.

I think White would be a good associate commissioner. He wants to take it straight at the p5 and sits atop a high-level program that had to rebuild from ashes. He might even make a good replacement. It would be nice to see an AAC member director assume that post one day…to show continuity and commitment to the conference.

I think Aresco is simply positioning the AAC in the committee’s minds as they prepare to select the G5 representative in the next few weeks.

I think it’s a smart move. More power to him!

3 Likes

I think that’s exactly what he’s doing which is the same thing he’s doing with the P6 thing. He and mostly everyone else know we are not going to be P6 but it’s a good marketing ploy to put in minds of others that we are the top G5.

Although this is a complaint he is making, he takes his direction from the AAC schools. He can’t make any major decisions without the schools saying yes do it or no, don’t do it.

While he is the single figure taking criticism from AAC fans, it’s the school presidents who are actually making conference decisions.

2 Likes

The fact that Condoleeza Rice was once on the committee says it all. The ESPN invitational doesn’t have non-football folks commentating and analyzing on their network programs, why in the world would you have non-football folks selecting the CFP teams? Wait for it, Pee Wee Herman and Mathew “the Astros WS Jinx” Mcconaughey will be elected next.

Then there’s the conflict of interest; how many former or current G5 officials have been elected to the committee? The whole setup is a joke, and Aresco needs work harder or accept things as is. His once a year fake outrage pieces aren’t enough to help the AAC.

4 Likes

Gary Barta and Ken Hatfield are the two biggest impediments to the G5 on the CFP committee right now. Before them, it was Barry Alvarez and Kirby Hocutt.

Does the G5 even have representation this year?

Edit: just one. Arkansas State.

1 Like

It’s funny how it’s a team like Arkansas State. You know dang well they will refrain from putting a UCF or Houston in that mix.

2 Likes

I love that Aresco is fighting for our league. With some teams bound to have two losses due to AAC matchups, he is trying to position them ahead of Boise and App State. He’s right too. In NO WAY should they get the NY6 over a team from the AAC this season and really most seasons.

2 Likes

Totally agree. He has to make waves to get the AAC noticed in the media.

2 Likes

He does this once a year and nothing changes. I’m not saying I dont appreciate him advocating for the AAC. However, if you do this once a year and nothing changes(the important part), then it might behoove you to reassess your strategy. Maybe more activity?