AAC ESPN close to a tier 1 deal?

The problem with our record is that P5 conference teams mostly want to play our weakest teams at the P5’s home field to ensure a win against an FBS team. Even when the better teams get games with P5 better teams, it is usually again at the P5 field. We have been able to schedule a few home and home series against P5 teams and our record is pretty good against them. But you will never see Bama, LSU, Ohio State, etc coming to play at our house, and not at all when we are decent.

When we sucked under Helton and Dimel, we were wanted for P5 homecoming games; but that dried up when we started winning. I see we have been able to schedule some P5’s (Wazzo, Colorado, Kansas, & TT) in the future, but we will see how that progresses. OU Coach Stoops admitted that had he known UH was going to be as good as we were, he wouldn’t have scheduled us. After getting beaten in NRG, I doubt we will ever play them in Houston again.

1 Like

I agree from a track perspective to a point.

Here is a quick sample of Mr. Tom Tellez work.It is impossible to compare with team sports but arguably he might be the best Coach that we ever had.

http://www.usatf.org/News/Tom-Tellez-to-receive-USATF-Legend-Coach-Award.aspx

I posted a while back the track and field videos that Coach Tom and Carl did together.
Sprint:

Carl

Leroy & Carl

Long jump:

I will add that Leroy & Carl are giving the best compliments Coach Tellez could have ever received. They learned from the great and are now becoming great Coaches too.

5 Likes

The good news, we are talking about track and field. Tom Tellez is one on the best coaches in all of track and field history. Leroy and Carl are teaching his technique to other. The Perfect Method is a proven way for runners to improve on their running technique. Look at the results, men runner- up indoor national championship. Recruiting is at a all time high. Next man up concept, Eli Hall, Burrell, Burke, and other.

1 Like

If you built a Mt. Rushmore of Houston coaches, Tom Tellez is on it alongside Bill Yeoman, Guy Lewis and Dave Williams. You look at conference titles, but you also have to look at the conference. Remember, some of the those titles were SWC titles, the SWC was a major conference. Conference USA and the American are good conferences, but the SWC was better and he won against better competition. Also remember, while at UH Tom Tellez was also coach of the USATF team.

I would say coach Burrell is continuing the legacy. He may very well surpass Tom Tellez, but I don’t think he’s there yet. I will say there aren’t too many schools that have had the caliber of coaches we’ve had.

1 Like

Coach Leroy and Coach Carl could write their meal ticket anywhere. They have proven you don,t have to be a power conference to beat power conference. No matter what conference these coaches are, they would win. If we were in the SEC we would get the top athlete and win more national titles because of their training. We now have SEC athlete transferring to Houston AAC because of Carl and Leroy ability to get the best out of these athlete. So put Leroy and Carl on the Mt. Rushmore, its ok.

2 Likes

@coogsofcv3, this is a shirt i would be interested in

8 Likes

Amen.

One thing at a time and they will get there. Carl is arguably the best athlete of all with Jim Thorpe, Leroy got gold too, Carole almost got there. What Tom Tellez did is write Olympic history. Again Leroy and Carl might do it too while coaching. Then they will be on the same level. Give them time and i am sure they will get there.

2 Likes

Will get to work on it

1 Like

They are there.

1 Like

Leroy and Carl will tell you they are not there yet. Be patient grasshopper.

$6.94Mil/school.

Devil’s in the details but what’s your initial reaction SamHouston1?

So that would make us about $30 million per school per year light compared to Big12 schools. I guess that’s better than the $35 million we’re light now

3 Likes

You’re 100% right Steve

1 Like

Actually for 2019 it’ll be closer $33 - 35 million. Big 12 payout is expected to be in the $40-42 million range.

1 Like

Well, we ain’t going to the BigXII anytime soon, so…

Can’t complain. I originally was thinking 4-6 then a lot of optimistic posters got me thinking 6-8 was possible. I never believed we’d be able to get 8 figures like some fans. I mean MWC schools are bringing in about 1 million per and have lousy exposure. It’s not as if we’re head and shoulders above Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State, etc., yet we’ll be making 6x as much and appearing on ESPN and even ABC on Saturday afternoon while they might have San Jose playing Wyoming late on CBS Sports Network.

3 Likes

Well, we’ve had a better run at NY6 bowls as a conference, and generally more consistent, but the biggest difference are the markets our schools are playing in…

We apparently just did sign such a deal. The question is twofold. If we do get invited to a P5 how much will it cost to break the chains? If we don’t get invited but others do then how much less money do we get?

2 Likes