AAC Football Coaching Carousel 2017-2018

Do we know if Stoops was ready to retire or if he was “encouraged” to retire so they could move on with Riley? The problem with Stoops is that he might insist on hiring his brother.

1 Like

not a clue but it was a surprise when he retired when he did. He was not on the hot seat list at the time and they were projected as a national contender this year.

This will have a trickle down effect:

https://twitter.com/mark_schlabach/status/933343935493222400

Thamel is pretty tied in to the agents:

Tennessee
Names: Dan Mullen, Matt Campbell, Scott Frost, Greg Schiano, Mike Norvell

Texas A&M*
Names: Jimbo Fisher, Gary Patterson, Justin Fuente, Mike Gundy, Chad Morris

Nebraska*
Names: Scott Frost, Mike Leach, Kevin Sumlin, Greg Schiano, Jason Candle, Bret Bielema

Mississippi
Names: Mike Norvell, Mike MacIntyre, Chad Morris, Willie Taggart, Jeremy Pruitt, Matt Luke, Frank Wilson

Arkansas*
Names: Gus Malzahn, Mike Norvell, Chad Morris, Blake Anderson
Predicts: Norvell to Arkansas

Oregon State
Names: Ken Niumatalolo, Beau Baldwin, Mike Bloomgren, Jonathan Smith, Alex Grinch, Ken Norton

*Arizona State
Names: Kevin Sumlin, Mike Norvell, Blake Anderson, Beau Baldwin, Pep Hamilton

This guy loses a lot of credibility when he says Fisher to A&M, IMO. I’m more than a little skeptical of Leach to Nebraska, too. Sumlin replacing Toad at ASU would be interesting, though.

Aggies won’t be hiring Patterson.

Down goes Bielema

I don’t know, Fisher might take it. FSU folks are a bit nuts…of course, so are the Aggies. More likely, this is all a contract extension ploy by Fisher.

Leach would be an awful fit in Nebraska, but it would be a fun car wreck to watch.

Sumlin to ASU makes a lot of sense.

According to Lars Anderson of Bleacher Report, Frost, who is a Nebraska alum, is all but “a done deal” to Nebraska. The Cornhuskers have not yet fired current coach Mike Riley. Nebraska lost to Iowa on Friday.

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/934310334575382528

Mike Riley officially out at Nebraska

Chip Kelly officially in at UCLA.

Kelly at UCLA is reeeeeeeeeally interesting.

Solid move for the Bruins

David Beatty being retained at Kansas. Has 1 FBS win in 3 years (over the Horns :laughing:).

Thought that one would come open and be a fallback for Morris if he couldn’t get anything else.

Also, looks like Bailiff is out at Rice. If I were the Owls, my list would start with Todd Orlando…but, they’re going to need to pony up the cash to have a chance. Pretty sure they won’t.

1 Like

Orlando is almost certainly making more at Texas than he would at Rice. I think if they hire a coach from a P5, it’ll be a position coach rather than a Coordinator. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them hire someone like KC Keeler from SHSU, but I ultimately don’t think it’ll be a name we’ve heard before.

I think Rice ends up with a retread.

Rice can have Kevin Sumlin

I don’t even think they can land a half-decent retread. Sumlin’s likely to be more interested in sitting on that buyout money and jumping into a P5 coordinator job, I’d imagine. Their board bounced around Gary Kubiak’s name, which…lmfao.

I was thinking more like Ruffin McNeal.

Isn’t Rice James Casey’s dream job?