AAC Football Coaching Carousel 2017-2018

Inheriting a good QB too

1 Like

Thatā€™s a prerequisite for Summie.

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Herm Edwards hired at Arizona State. Seems like a disaster in the making:

Hereā€™s the statement the University put out:

Also, the man that hired Edwards was his former agent who now works for ASU.

1 Like

The whole release is like something youā€™d find on LinkedIn -

1 Like

ASU announcing the announcement of innovative innovation evoked for me the wisdom of four gents from the UK who once sang: Welcoooooome to the machiiiiiine!

Thank you for posting. This is an interesting hire. Going from pros to college is a major gamble. ASU has tremendous resources but has been insignificant for way too long. Their potential is huge. He has ties all over San Diego County and California so recruiting should be a major plus for ASU. That will help him against UCLA, USC andā€¦SDSU his alma mater.

This could be the biggest mistake ever made in college football. The man is 63 years old and has been out of coaching for 8 years and out of college coaching for what 17 years, and was never a head coach in college. What kind of relationships would he have with the high schools in Arizona and California while he has been an NFL broadcaster. The only salvation may be that he was hired strictly as a figure head to deal with doners and that the coordinators will be the real coaches.

Has there ever been a celebrity hire that has worked?

1 Like

Is the Herm Edwards hire that much more ridiculous than the Jimbo Fisher hire?

I canā€™t get over the TAMU hire. I could understand paying that money (or even more) for Sabin, Meyer or Daboā€¦but I have no confidence in Jimbo. Granted, this makes me happy as a clam, but I canā€™t see what the allure is. To me, heā€™s done for Florida State what Les Miles did for LSUā€¦in fact, their first 8 seasons, Les had a better winning percentage (Jimbo had only been HC at FSU for 8 seasons).

Can anyone see A&Mā€™s perspective here as a good move?

1 Like

As long as Saban is coaching Alabama, they have very little chance of winning the SEC West and having a shot at the CFP. And every season they do not win their division, the frustration will build and will accelerate if there are early season losses to SEC opponents. And how many CFP appearances should $75M buy? For some, there will never be enough to make it worth the cost so there will always be dissatisfaction with the results.

This has the potential to set their program back a long way. It will be interesting to watch. I am not sure which potential train wreck will be more entertaining to watch: UT or A&M. They both have some real potential entertainment value.

It might work out but there is a part of me that, while I would be happy for UH to win a National Championship in football, it would not be the same if I knew it came with a $75M price tag over 10 years.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/UCFSports/status/937755795588108288

Good, canā€™t stand the man (and felt the same way when he was here). Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have to hear his name again (assuming some Coogfans shut it up). Heā€™s a rich man now, he should go back to Indiana and open a bar in Muncie, or something like that.

2 Likes

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/04/ucf-coaching-search-troy-walters-tony-elliott

Sumlinā€™s out and OC Troy Walters and Clemson OC Troy Elliott are now at the top of the list along with Toledoā€™s HC Jason Candle. Pretty good group of candidates.

1 Like

Taggart took the FSU job which means Oregon is open. Thamel throws Sumlinā€™s name out for the Ducks which may have been why heā€™s no longer considered at UCF.

He says Tennessee will probably look at a SEC coordinator for their job, but does mention Morris and Norvell there.

As far as our old-AD at Arkansas, first name was Chad Morris and Iā€™d be surprised if he doesnā€™t end up there.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/938074827562340352

1 Like

Missouri offensive coordinator Josh Heupel has been named head coach at UCF.

$1.7M annual salary.
If he leaves before 2020 bowl game he owes UCF $10M.

Now thatā€™s the way to write a contract when youā€™re a stepping stone program.

1 Like

Funny how the narrative is becoming, if you can succeed in the AAC you can succeed in the P5ā€¦

Maybe they can just replace the USF stuff with the FSU stuff (Noles for Bulls, Maroon for Green, etc):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3MOLaXBpcg

Wait, heā€™s only been at Oregon for ONE YEAR? My god, what a mess college football has become.

1 Like

I read that with fsu, heā€™s been at three schools in 365 days

1 Like