AAC Rankings

I would say duke had super players but not a super team.

1 Like

Winning the last 6 games against some of the best teams in the country is a monstrous feat. It’s what makes the tourney so spectacular. In my mind it’s the greatest spectacle in American sports. The only annual sporting event that lives up to billing every single time.

3 Likes

I watched that NKU team play Texas Tech way closer than they should have in Tulsa. Pretty incredible they were able to find a coach of his caliber basically a 15 minute drive from their campus.

1 Like

No, that is absolutely not the case.

I’m still not buying Memphis. They got a load of great recruits but that doesn’t translate to character or culture and I still think Penny is way over his head as a coach at this point. I pick them 4th Behind Us, Cincy, and WS

Even if Penny is a below average coach they aren’t going to lose many games based off talent alone. Unless there are team chemistry issues Memphis will be a legit top 3 team in the league easily.

4 Likes

Penny had less quality last year and had a pretty good team, really hard to beat at home. With all of that talent there is no reason to think they cant pick up at least 2-3 more conference wins which would put them in 3rd. It’s not like he is an idiot.

1 Like

That’s not always true, there were plenty of super talented teams who disappointed. They’ll still be good but I don’t see them winning the conference

In the current AAC if you have that much top end talent you will be top 3. In the future maybe not but all of the teams have question marks coming into the season.

1 Like

Jcoop9, I agree. The current Memphis freshman class nearly rivals the Michigan Fab Five class that won the national championship. Anyone who thinks they’re not going to be at or near the top of the conference is delusional. They will start out the year ranked in the Top 10 based on their talent alone.

4 Likes

Agree, not quite fab 5 good (they had 4 top 10 players) but still outstanding. That said, fab 5 didn’t win a title but played for a couple.

Penny did a good job last year with a lot less talent
it will be interesting to see how the new studs will adept to his coaching. I think Memphis is going to be very, very good
or if things turn the wrong way could be a total wreck.
Memphis will be tough to beat on talent alone
especially at their place
and that is good for the AAC

1 Like

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3681-1365196171-1

I agree I thought Penny did a good job. They blew UCF out twice although it was at home still impressive. The league is trending up to a consistent 4-5 bid league a year.

The AAC is becoming a legit top league. A few bottom dwellers, but the top 5-6 are lethal. We’ve come a long way!

2 Likes

The irony about the Fab 5 is with all of the hoopla, they won no B1G titles. The banners they won were regional banners for going to the Final Four. But when Ed Martin’s payments to the players came to light, the banners came down along with a long losing streak as all the games the players participated in were forfeited.

2 Likes

All P5 conferences have their bottom dwellers.

3 Likes