AAC should invite Georgia State?

I was thinking that the AAC Conference should look at Georgia State. That university is in the big metro area of Atlanta and looks to be large in student numbers and a big alumni base. I know they renovated the old Turner Field that the Braves use to play in as their football stadium. As a TV market that would be a good add. I do think that the AAC needs a replacement for UCONN. I dont like the Big 12 model that the conference is going to use for football next year.

3 Likes

They’d be interesting. Newer FBS school as they’ve only been up since this decade, but they have some potential in the realm of UCF or USF. They have some other good programs as well and the Atlanta metro area would definitely be a bonus.

3 Likes

Aparrantly the old Turner field was actually the stadium for the 96 Olympics in Atlanta, then after it finished they demoed part of the stadium and turned it into a baseball stadium for the Braves. GSU apparently partially turned it back.

2 Likes

The AAC should invite no one. Our goal is P5 invite. Everything else is trash. I’ve said this b4 look at who was at the head of the table for a P5 invite when the AAC started. It was the Big East schools who had done well.

USF
UCONN
Cincy

Cincy is the only one left with a serious shot. UCF and us have been elevated and taken the opportunity. Elevate no one. I don’t care about the strength of the AAC.

7 Likes

If we can’t get BYU, Army, or someone from the top of the MWC, we should do nothing. We shouldn’t be reaching right now. We don’t have to.

4 Likes

Around 10 years ago USF was given a shot and made something of if, so why shouldn’t GSU? If they can bring a big television market, fan base, and be competitive they shoud be looked at. That part of the country has good recruiting as well if added GSU. I know you hate being in the AAC and I want to get out of it too but it shoud be competitive while we are in it. I’d rather have a up and coming program with big potential compared to Tulsa and Tulane.

2 Likes

That was 16 years ago and I’m guessing the Big East would have done something different if they could go back in time (i.e. invite UCF).

The Big East was also in a very different situation. They had to find teams because they were a smaller football conference trying to get back to 8 teams due to ACC taking BC, VT, and Miami. They would have lost their BCS bid if they didn’t do that. That’s not the situation here.

1 Like

Ugh no thx lol

5 Likes

Assuming they would want in, they would need to do some upgrades on their athletic facilities. But that’s not a terrible idea, just a stretch. I think adding a school in Atlanta would be a plus for the conference.

2 Likes

Just NO!

3 Likes

ga state has potential but has atleast 5 years of building up before id consider

2 Likes

They’ve still got a long way to go to get consistently competitive even in the Sun Belt.

2 Likes

Please no to Army. One triple option team assassinating knee caps and ACLs is already one too many.

8 Likes

Thats a sure fire way to make a middlin conference weaker. Invite no one.

2 Likes

I would like us to get a 12th team even if it’s not BYU/ARMY/MWC but not Georgia State. They could make something of themselves, but there are other options that are already a lot further along and others with more realistic upward potential.

One advantage of holding at 11 is we can wait and see if a good candidate presents itself.

Georgia Stare is the largest school in Georgia, that said …no. Can play them rather than a AA team though.

The best part of 11 teams is more money per team.

4 Likes

lol :unamused:

Not to reignite the convo here, but Georgia State would be an excellent option for the AAC. First and obviously, the Atlanta market. Currently the AAC doesn’t have any representation in this market. Georgia St could instantly give them recruiting ties to the state, which in turn will enhance the competitive profile of the conference. Oh and Georgia is the third or fourth largest recruiting state in the nation, and Atlanta arguably the most important college football city in country. Second, facilities. Georgia State can easily convert Georgia State stadium aka Turner Field aka Centennial Olympic stadium or whatever you want to call it into a 50K+ stadium. They’re also in the process of constructing a larger basketball venue which will seat 8K. The basketball team has been to 2-3 NCAA tournaments in the last 5 years. Defeating Baylor once (Big 12/Power 5), and going toe to toe with Cincinnati (AAC team) for the majority of their game. Third, the school has 53,000 students making it the second largest school in the AAC right now behind UCF. The attractiveness of an AAC invite would be extremely intriguing to their fan base. Third, their endowment is larger than UCF. They’re also a Doctoral/Research (Very High) university like many schools in the AAC which from an academic perspective is great for the conference. With all that said, I agree with what someone mentioned throughout the thread of them staying put and being more competitive in their current conference. If their football team was say, App State competitive, I would definitely say they’re ready. Oh and if you think about it, a lot of people diss the Sun Belt, but they’ve gone from the worst group of 5 conference to the third best. Nice progress, and I think it’s sustainable.

4 Likes

Not endorsing Geo State, but to proclaim the best part of 11 teams is more money per team is the same argument that the Big 12 has for not adding two more teams to actually make it an actual Big 12.

I never heard of Georgia State prior to playing them. That said, what do they bring? More than GA Tech? U of GA? Is so, then no.

1 Like