AAC tournament in... Fort Worth?

Beginning in 2020. The AAC signed a 3-year deal to play in a new arena in Fort Worth, to be built in the museum district just west of downtown.

2 Likes

Nice, driving distance for us, SMU, Tulsa, and Wichita State. Memphis is also within range. Much better than the Orlando/Hartford sites.

Interesting that this is moving West though. East coast members won’t be happy and I imagine if Cronin is still around at Cincy, he’ll moan and complain (as he does about everything).

Great for the conference. Easy flights in and out of DFW for everyone. Great for us!

I wonder if the tournament gear will be Dickies brand.

Great news if you are a Cougar basketball fan. Sampson should have it absolutely rolling by then.

2 Likes

Aresco said Fort Worth officials made the trip up to Newport, R.I., to make the pitch for the event in front of 12 athletic directors representing each of the AAC’s schools, including SMU. The multi-purpose arena that will also host the Fort Worth Stock Show beat out five or six other venues, Aresco said.

“It was a strong bid financially and it was a strong bid in terms of logistics,” Aresco said.

1 Like

Realistically, how much longer do we expect Coach Sampson to stay? He’ll be 64 and in his 6th season with the program if he’s still here in 2020. Do college basketball coaches really stay on that long?

He should be fine @64.
Coach K is 70.
Roy Williams 67.
Boeheim 72.
If Samp. is winning & still likes coaching, 64 is still prime time.

Well, we are building him a brand new arena. 2019-20 (the first year of the FW tourney) will be his second year in the Fertitta Center. I would think he’ll want to coach 4-5 years in the new arena, at a minimum, assuming the fans fill it up and it provides a great home court advantage.

Last year, he mentioned during one of his coach’s shows that he wanted to stay at UH for another decade before retiring.

Why would he want to leave? He is not on a hot seat and probably never will be. He took over a dumpster fire of a program and has slowly began to build it back up. He has a Practice Facility and the Hof is being totally renovated. The recruiting is picking up each year. Once the Center is open and we start winning games and there are 4k or more each game, it will be fun.

2 Likes

This is why it is hard to be a Cougar.

We seem to constantly worry about things that may or may not happen.

Kelvin’s got everyone in the family on the UH payroll, other than his dog. He’s not going anywhere.

6 Likes

Lmao. Truth.