AAC Tourney Thread

Interested to see how they work the rotation. I imagine Ullom will go Wednesday against Memphis in order to possibly bring him back for a short outing Sunday if you make it.

However, you could also take a chance and throw Henry/Hurdsman out there Wednesday against Memphis, hoping you beat them with hitting or get a good outing from them, and then have Ullom Thursday, Cumbie Saturday, and King Sunday for the Championship game. Works as long as you stay in the winner’s bracket, but if you don’t win that first game…

Good idea. We’re going to need a solid outing from Henry or Hurdsman at some point to win the title, so might as well go for it early in the most favorable situation. If they can pull it off, it does set up well.

Tuesday’s games are on the CBS Sports Network

Wednesdays games are on the American Digital Network, I use Roku and found them on the YouTube app.

2 Likes

Good stuff thank you redcat.

Wouldn’t Villareal be the best choice since he has more experience in big games? Just curious…

It seems that they have set roles for each of the pitchers and Villarreal would probably be used later in the tourney, especially since he just pitched Sunday even though it was a relatively short outing.

I have a feeling that the rotation will be Ullom, Cumbie, King, Villarreal, Henry in that order as far as who goes and depending what round it is. For example, if we get through to the final , I expect Ullom will be brought back Sunday to try and get at least 5 before bringing one of the relievers. If Henry was more consistent, I could see them throwing him against Memphis, but the last thing you’d want to do is put him out there and he gives up 9 runs in the first inning and you have to burn 1-3 relievers to finish a losing game early in the tourney.

2 Likes

I agree with you Pray10. Ullom has been pretty consistent and steady all year, barring his last start. I would rather go with him, a known quantity against Memphis who will be throwing their ace. We follow with who has turned into our ace, Cumbie, in the 2nd game. From there everyone remaining will be scrambling their staffs, and if King can get back to his previous performance level we are probably in best shape than other teams in Game 3. Game 4, as many remaining arms as possible on deck with Villareal our starter.

And now the game has been moved up to tomorrow at 8 am due to weather concerns.

Tough decision now, due you pitch Ullom on 4 days rest and then pitch him again Sunday on 4 days again? You might have to go with Henry now and hope for the best.

https://twitter.com/uhcougarbb/status/866699484948041735

1 Like

All times on the link above are Eastern Time.

Moving us to 8am seems wrong. Why not move everyone else up, and at least give us the 3:30pm slot?

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052217aab.html

QUICK HITS ON MEMPHIS

Memphis owns a 29-27 record and will play as the No. 7 seed in the American Championship following an 8-16 mark in league play.
The Tigers are coming off a series loss at home to Tulane – the league’s No. 5-seeded team.
Memphis is hitting .262 and slugging .401 with 109 doubles and 48 home runs.
Chris Carrier leads the club with a .318 average, 14 home runs and 44 RBI. He is followed by Tyler Webb, who is the team’s hit leader with 62 and runs scored leader with 41.
The Tigers have swiped 51-of-74 bases, led by Carrier’s 10 stolen bases.
The pitching staff for Memphis owns a 4.93 ERA and has 15 saves and one shutout on the year.
The Tigers have fanned 434 hitters and walked 226, while holding opponents to a .282 average.
Connor Alexander (6-3) and Drew Crosby (6-3) share the team-high in wins with a 6-3 record, while Jonathan Bowlan owns the best ERA at 3.81 with a 4-5 record in 17 appearances and nine starts. He has fanned 72 in 78.0 innings.

SERIES HISTORY VS. MEMPHIS

Houston and Memphis have met 64 previous times, dating back to 1997.
The Cougars own the all-time series at 46-18.
The two teams have met once in Clearwater, Fla. since 2014 with the Cougars winning, 17-3.
Houston won the 2017 series on the road at Memphis, 2-1.
Last Meeting: April 15, 2017 | Houston 9, Memphis 8

Guessing because the other games involve the Florida teams and they didn’t want to change those since those will probably be the most attended.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/866808689570844673

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/867105219653644288

Uconn Cincy game if you’re interested. Both teams going with relievers to start the game today so we’ll be facing either Zellner for Cincy or Cate for UCONN on Thursday.

The Cate vs Cumbie/Ullom match up will be a good one. We hit Cate okay last time, but he has very very good breaking stuff.

2 Likes

Cate did have his worst game of the season against us; possibly the worst game of his career so far. He also got back to normal after leaving Houston.

Ullom and the Coogs will have their work cut out for them; should be a great game.

see where ECU leads UCF 7-2. Somehow I felt and mentioned on other thread that ECU was going to make noise in Tourney. See if they can hold on bot 5th.