AAC unlikely to replace UConn in football

ESPN is the shadow commissioner of every conference. Every recent realignment started at the behest of the global sports network.

4 Likes

H-Town, you are correct. Realignments do not happen without the direction of the media network that controls the main contract.

1 Like

Oh come now. Don’t you know UT is the sole power keeping UH out of a Power Conference?

Ssshhh! The puppet masters in Austin who dictate these outcomes will hear you.

What university has their own network with said media network?

For every conference you have the power brokers and influencers. You betcha it is espn/Fox and uta in the Houston/Texas small12 region.
PAC: USC and UCLA will never allow SDSU
ACC: FSU will never allow UCF
SEC: Florida will never allow UCF
SDSU, UCF and U of H will be immediately competitive in a P5.
Do I need to continue?

1 Like

"The bigger question is if Air Force brass shares the concerns Calhoun has with their conference affiliation and what, if any, actions will be taken going forward. There is an opening with the AAC thanks to UConn’s departure but travel would be even harder in that league with frequent trips East and life as an independent has proven quite challenging for former MWC member BYU in recent years "

1 Like

The AAC would prefer to not raid another conference to go back to 12 members after UConn leaves following this season. But, Aresco added, the AAC would have to consider expansion if the NCAA does not accept its waiver request for a football championship game with 11 teams.

Aresco cautioned that he doesn’t want to dilute the conference’s brand by simply adding another team.

4 Likes

Welcome to the AAC Air Force Academy. Tulsa, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis are easier trips from Denver than what they currently are traveling.

To me, if you add Air Force, BYU and one other (Army, Boise or San Diego State) you truly have P6.

The coach wouldn’t have said what he said if he didn’t know the administration felt the same way.

3 Likes

With the MWC TV deal up soon, I’m thinking this is the AFA trying to get a better % of the next TV $.

Doing a google search, not much new commentary on the MWC TV situation.

Current deal is @$14 mill per year w Boise getting @$2.8 mill. @$1 million to the rest of the full members.

Unless its changed, Hawaii kept its own TV contract as a football only member and does not get a %.

MWC is probably trying to get AAC money from the networks but obviously they are not budging.

1 Like

Hawaii has a local TV package that pays them $2.3 million. The Colorado State AD has already said they don’t expect to come close to the Hawaii deal in this next TV contract.

If I were the AFA administration, I would rather be in the AAC. Easier trips, better recruiting bases, plus the Navy game becomes a conference game which frees up another non conference game.

2 Likes

They’re not going to get AAC money. So they seem to be defining success differently, in terms of kickoff times and a shorter duration.

I like Boise St.

2 Likes

“I suggest you ask all the teams to make a presentation and then don’t invite anyone. It’s a barrel of laughs.”

-The Big 12

14 Likes

Priceless…

1 Like

Oh boy, UNT will be polishing up their pitch again…

Looks like we will know soon IF AAC needs to make a move.
“But if the waiver is denied, for some reason, then expect the AAC expansion rumors to start flying once again.”

In the comments:
“thefiesty1” is that crazy Tech guy who hates UH.
Every comment involving the AAC or (especially) UH, he runs his mouth.

2 Likes

My word. How the internet never ceases to amaze with stupidity. :joy:
People really go straight to the comment section!

2 Likes

I understand we are in talks with Alabama about joining as the 12th team.

Told them they would be a shoo-in for the ESPN championship every year, but they declined saying they were already a shoo-in.

Oh, well !!

3 Likes