AGAIN, where are we going to be ranked next week?

Pat made it 3 times:

12 seed in 1987
8 seed in 1990
10 seed in 1992

Tom made it once:

13 seed in 2010

Until 1981, they did not really seed the tournament like they do today (and it was 48 teams in the early 1980s). Guy’s seeds in those final years:

1981 = 8
1982 = 6
1983 = 1
1984 = 2

3 Likes

I seem to remember a lot of complaining about the 92 teams seed.

1 Like

92 was vs GaTech if I recall correctly… that was a pretty good UH team with Outlaw, Upchurch, Diaz, etc.

Yes, thats the year they lost by 5 against GaTech.

Curious where Katz slots us this week in his Power 36. Last week we were at 16…and being one of the hottest teams right now, I’m thinking we break into his top 10.

Seth Davis has us at #21

I’m guessing #23.

2 Likes

Rudy Davalos was on the selection committee. He lobbied for a 10 seed vs Ga Tech with USC and Harold Miner in the second round instead of a 8-9 seed with Duke in the second round.

He was right. Ga Tech beat USC and made the Sweet 16. Duke went to the Final Four.

But Foster was pissed.

2 Likes

Do we have more Final Four appearances than any other school in Texas?

I know the only Texas school to win a championship is Texas Western (now UTEP)

think about it. last time we were ranked. most of yall were still getting a degree. i was a freshman in high school. its a long time coming.

To answer is UH has 5, UT has 3, Baylor has 2 and SMU and UTEP have 1 each. I believe that 2 of UT’s final 4s were in the 1930s.

24th if I had to guess. Wonder if Cindy losing again takes some shine off the win.

Being I’m a Cypress resident also, your are spot on!!:grin::grin:

The way UH drubbed Temple on the road polished it too much to be tarnished so easily. Plus WSU is a top 15 team and UH has recently beat them too.

Hope the guys can maintain this level. They’re flat out a better UH team than any I’ve seen this century.

1 Like

I’m going with #20. I think we’ve been sitting on the outside because people haven’t been paying much attention to the AAC outside of Cincy. Even WSU has been somewhat disappointing considering where they started the season. But beating Cincy then dusting Temple on the road has to have gotten some attention. Plus, there were a ton of top 25 losses this week that should shuffle things around a bit. We’ll see.

1 Like

The P5 cabal has no problem with WSU, Cincy, Villanova, Xaiver, Gonzaga, and St Mary’s, Rhode Island and Creighton being in the Top 25 (that’s roughly a third of ranked teams) so I think you’d have a tough time making a case for some sort of prejudice in that regard. The polls in basketball are even less meaningful than the polls in football. The only prejudice in play is that of brand names and familiarity. For a school like UH that has been down for quite a few years, the out of the spotlight factor is the big hurdle. This team is plenty good enough to announce the return of UH basketball to the country if they play up to their potential in the NCAA’s. That may allow UH to get some bigger programs to agree to play non-conference games in the near future. With the opening of the Fertitta Center next season, UH has a great opportunity to work it’s way back into the national discussion with 2 or 3 really good OOC games next year.

2 Likes

Whoever said #23 in the AP is the winner.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/965632589674504192

I’ll be that CKS is hell-to-pay in practice this week with that ranking. Keep 'em humble, coach.

2 Likes

Ranked in the Top 25 in BOTH polls for the first time since 1984, according to one source I read.

GO COOGS!!!

Ga Tech was a bad match-up for us due to Matt Geiger, Jon Barry, and Travis Best…3 future NBA players that made it tough on our guys.

If I remember right, due to beating UT in the SWC Championship on Selection Sunday, we would have swapped with them and been an 8th seed against Iowa. Iowa had Acie Earl, but would have been an easier opponent in the first round than Georgia Tech.

Foster should have been pissed. A 1st round win would have been better than the 1st round out. I liked Rudy, but he got ahead of himself on that one.