AJ Ricker - new OL coach?

So a guy that doesn’t even call the plays is the highest paid offensive coordinator in the country?

3 Likes

Well, I didn’t make it up. That number has been out there since he turned down UT last year.

The only place you can find that number is Wikipedia. Cumbie’s salary was not included in TCU’s 990 filing.

I was always told by TCU fans that Cumbie was calling plays from the box, sending them down to Meacham. Maybe they were wrong about it or Meacham had final decision.

OK. Let Wikipedia know what the right number is, then. He made $700K before UT tried to hire him, and he turned down reportedly more than $1MM to stay at TCU.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, pal. I’m just saying let’s not believe everything we read on the internet and think realistically. Do we really think TCU is paying their offensive coordinators $2.5 million annually, a full million more than anyone else in the country? If you do, that’s great. I personally do not think that is realistic, considering any Tom, Dick, or Harry with an email account can edit a Wikipedia page.

There is still no proof that he was making $700k. It is possible, but the only person who put that out there was somebody who wrote for BurntOrangeNation. Just because UT offered a million (allegedly) doesn’t mean TCU matched it and surely wouldn’t mean they gave him 1.4 million. He most likely is making more than 500k though and would be taking a pay cut coming here.

I think he is looking at his future, not just the money right now. He probably didn’t want to go to UT, them have a bad season where Strong gets fired and he looks bad with no job. Right now at TCU he could be seeing that TCU is starting to slip and soon they wont be known as a great offensive team, meaning no more big offers for him. Also Patterson is probably one of the toughest guys to coach for. At least that is my hopes on how he is looking at it.

Just to put a warning label on this thread: None of these have been confirmed as done deals. Ricker seems to be the only one that’s been hired so far and even that hasn’t been confirmed by anybody as of yet.

Mostly, we’re speculating based off internet follows. Could be something there, could be nothing.

2 Likes

So the staff is shaping up as:

OC/QB - Sonny Cumbie (TCU OC/QB)
RB - Kenith Pope
WR - Darrell Wyatt
_TE - James Casey _
OL - AJ Ricker (Missouri OL)

DC/DB - Brian Stewart (Nebraska DB)
DL - AJ Blum (Westfield DC)
LB - Archie McDaniel (SMU LB)
DB - Blake Gideon (Western Carolina S)

Probably any of those guys could join the staff, but I wouldn’t count on any other than Ricker and probably Blum (who may be DL coach or possibly even take over Yancy McKnight’s role;. He is the offseason program coordinator at Westfield), Casey, and Wyatt. McDaniel has been with Morris before and probably has his wagon hitched to him. MA may consider Stewart, but I doubt the job is his. Gideon makes some sense, but we could also very possibly hire Clay Jennings, formerly of UT, Arkansas, TCU, and UH, or Cris Dishman, ex-Oiler now DB coach at Baylor. Cumbie would be a tape-measure home run. Just tough to see us getting him, but who knows? He may want to call plays. I’d guess Pope would be retained, but I wouldn’t bet my ranch on it, especially if we could bring in another dynamic HS coach with strong ties in Fort Bend, the Bay Area, or the north side.

Being as Cumbie’s employer is a private university we’re not really going to have definitive answers about what he makes salary-wise.

Stewart would be interesting. He was decent here and considering at that time we ran an offense that put our D on the field a lot, the 2011 group did fine all things considered.

1 Like

Sammy Brown was a beast all year.

Didn’t realize that Meachum and Cumbie both arrived at TCU in 2014. We were able to pull Holgorson from Tech, why not Cumbie from TCU?

1 Like

If Cumbie is our OC and Stewart our DC, we are in good shape.

2 Likes

We’ve been successful with head coaches with no head coach experience.

The same can not be said about coordinators. Our best coordinators have been coordinators before. Holgorsen, Gibbs, Orlando, Applewhite (arguable), Meacham, Brian Stewart, etc.

That’s close to a best case scenario. Other good choice may be Gilbert at OC

So, nobody knows what Cumbie actually makes, but the $1.4MM that’s been reported for almost a year just can’t be right? Got it. And if you’re suggesting that I “believe everything I read on the internet”, then yeah, you’re being a jerk. Whatever - be who you want to be.

Cumbie stayed at TCU because he likes it there, and because he’s making a boatload of money to do it. If he couldn’t stand working for Patterson, he’d already be somewhere else. He was a hot commodity when Boykin led TCU’s offense last year, but I think some shine is off that star now. Regardless, i like the guy a lot and would be happy to have him here - I just think it’s extremely unlikely. You never know in the world of coaching, though.

Who reported Cumbie makes $1.4 million? I can’t find it anywhere.

The AAS said in December 2015 that Cumbie was making $700K at TCU, and that was before TCU bumped him to stave off UT’s interest.

http://www.hookem.com/story/strong-cumbie-discuss-texas-opening-but-deal-not-in-place/

I would love to see Jason Phillip back as receiver coach.

Who reported it though? Find me an actual report, not Wikipedia, that says that Cumbie makes $1.4 million, and I will be more than happy to say I am an idiot and totally wrong. But you keep saying “it’s been reported”, when it actually hasn’t.