Alabama/USF

Remnants of Yurachek’s scheduling eff ups.

No. It isn’t like that at all. We are getting P5 one for one deals now. There are two P5s and (most of the time) two local (TX/LA) G5’s on our OOC schedule every year. So no, it’s not like wanting to sleep with an NFL cheerleader exclusively and not getting to. It is like sleeping with two chicks that are solidly in the 6-9 range and two that are in the 4-6 range a year. Chubby girls need love too. Nothing wrong with nickel night; you don’t always need to be looking for dimes.

That analogy doesn’t work for Houston. We are finishing one and ones with Vanderbilt and Oklahoma and have upcoming one and ones with Washington State, Texas Tech (technically part of a 2 and 2 I believe), Colorado, Kansas and Utah plus BYU and Boise State. We aren’t dateless.

5 Likes

I won’t debate you because you never bring facts, purely hyperbole. When someone talks about UCF being better than Vanderbilt you say Alabama is better than Rice so that’s proof all P5s are better than G5s. It’s funny when you try to say stuff like “history repeats itself” because your history is never supported by actual statistics. Typical argument for you … someone says the AAC is on par with the PAC12 the last few years and you reply “then why does the SEC always in the playoffs and the AAC has no one.”

3 Likes

1959, 1961, and 1970

1 Like

Looking at that record, we were never really blown out by Bama, a couple of lopsided losses, but nothing shocking. The 3-0 loss in '59 was really surprising. I think had we started Case in 2007, we would have won that game; as it was he almost pulled it out.

As to the comment that we don’t travel well, it all depends on how we are doing and who we are playing. I remember being very well represented at Arkansas, UT, TAMU, and even Tulane. But getting folks to follow a losing team to play another losing team in the middle of nowhere is a different story.

Oh yeah, I wish people would stop calling this a “crap conference.” It isn’t a crap conference and we have only managed to win it once so far. I have enjoyed going to our games against what some call crap teams; if they are crap teams, why haven’t we been winning the conference every year. Evenn in 2015 we lost to UConn, a team we should have beaten even without Ward.

2 Likes

KTypical response from you. Supposedly quoting things I’ve never said or things you think I would say which are never true.
Clearly your world won’t allow for thoughts outside those that you think you heard or that things you think people might say. Good luck with that.
I will go ahead and put you on ignore but since you seem to know what I’m thinking please make sure that we are clear that I think you are full of it on almost everything you say.

In 1 1/2 Quarters as well…Whole game, we win.

Many of you guys might have flipped out in 1968 when we played at Texas in a one and done deal.
But that one game, a dramatic 20-20 tie, which we would have won had there been official replay, there was a tremendous about of coverage and fan interest.
We have never really traveled well, but I remember standing/sitting/laying in line as a student to get a ticket. Students started lining up one afternoon and hung around until the following morning to get tickets. It was estimated we had 20k or more fans at Memorial Stadium that night.
While I would love to be in the position to play one and ones with the Bigs, that simply isn’t the case and hasn’t been since the SWC dissolved.
Let’s face it, a road trip to Texas or Agy high would create much more fan excitement than a neutral game with Washington State…just saying…

2 Likes

Agreed. If we hadn’t been discussing this topic, lots of folks would have said that was an awesome game (maybe one of our historic best) that changed the face of our football future however that doesn’t match up with the claim that anything other than a 1 and 1 is fruitless, financially unsound and just plain unfair to us old Coogs.

1 Like

Bottom line is that we should NEVER play 1aa teams like TAU/PV. We could have offered TSU 10 BB games

2 Likes

One of best and most exciting games I ever saw Bear. The crowd was electric and I can remember that our crowd showed up loud and early…and yes I think Gipson scored what should have been the winning touchdown…and the Cowards ran the clock out and settled for a tie…great memories…

2 Likes

I wish I had seen it. Sadly I did not but it’s importance to the history of our program is not lost on me. Not sure which game was my favorite of all time. Too many to choose from but I loved the Tulsa 100-6 blowout and come from behind wins at SMU and La Tech.
The last game at The Rob was also special. Lots of history in that old place in a city where historical significance seems to lack value.

1 Like

USF only gets $500K/game, and it’s only paid out after the 3rd game. USF has to cover 12K tickets at RayJay. Still, it’s cheaper for USF to play road games than lose money at RayJay. They don’t even see a dime of concessions until it breaks $2M (never does).

For reference, Alabama is paying $1.7M+/game to its other G5 opponents, and regularly pays $1M/game for FCS teams. As Alabama’s AD put it, “It’s a bargain.” Again, USF makes more money playing on the road for $500K/game, than at home.

It’s better than USF’s Florida deal.

Florida is only paying $350K/game, and USF doesn’t play the first game in Tampa. Florida pays $800K-$1.2M for FCS teams (paid $800K to lose to Georgia Southern in '13), and a little more for G5s. Although Florida’s attendance has been down since '13.

Also, Florida’s buyout from USF is barely $2M, far less than what UCFAA, Inc. (UCF’s athletic association is 100% private, 0% taxpayer dollars) makes on average in a single home game – about $21M of UCF’s $42M non-TV/non-athletic-fee revenue comes from its 7 home games (athletic fees are around $20M). So it could be no trips to Tampa, as Florida can easily double the revenue lost in the buyout by dropping them for a home FCS team.

Even back in the Big East, Florida taxpayers used to make up for the nearly $20M shortfall after even athletic fees ($15M), that USF had. It’s become worse since, to the point USF has been raiding their donations for their Academic Foundation to pay for their >>$20M shortfall with the end of the Big East (much like UConn’s issue), as the Florida taxpayers won’t foot any extra money beyond what they already do.

Hence why USF is really in a pickle, and 2-for-1s will be ‘cheaper away’ than at home, for some time – at least without an OCS. UCF was in the same boat in the Citrus Bowl, run by Florida grads, until it made the mistake of expecting UCF to pay for stadium upgrades in 2003 … which is why UCFAA, Inc. was formed.

USF is in the same ‘suction’ with RayJay that UCF was with the Citrus Bowl. There’s a reason UCF has never played in the Citrus Bowl since '06 (sans the '16 Cure Bowl), and UCF entertains offers of JAX or ATL as neutral sites against P5s, where the proceeds would be based on ticket sales.

SIDE NOTE: UCFAA, Inc., with its private basketball and football arenas, are a thorn-in-the-side of the city of Orlando that subsidizes the Orlando Arena and Citrus Bowl. UCFAA, Inc. under-bids both of them for their arena and stadiums, consistently.

UCF almost signed Miami to a 2-for-2 (2-2-0) last year, but Citrus Sports interceded mid-negotiations and offered Miami all of the UCF proceeds in a 2-0-2 (2 at Citrus), and then 2-1-1 (1 at Citrus), which would have cost UCF $3-6M, depending on whether 1-2 games were at the Citrus Bowl.

Although Florida never officially offered, that was the negotiations via the Citrus Bowl that Mullen was referring to. It literally screwed UCF over, as bad as USF … 2-0-1, with UCF losing money at the Citrus Bowl for the alleged ‘home’ (neutral field) game. I heard UCF countered with JAX, like Georgia, with ‘ticket sales driven.’

UCF outnumbered LSU 2-to-1 at the Fiesta Bowl (even though LSU was almost twice as close), Auburn 60% to 40% at the Peach Bowl (even though Auburn was 4x closer), and UCF traveled better to the Fiesta in '13 better than the entire Big East invites … combined. I was talking to a Fiesta Bowl rep pre-game, and he said UCF is not just desired at the G5, but more than most P5s.

I.e., specifically stated the Fiesta Bowl wanted UCF because it knew UCF would travel better than any G5, most of the P5s, including most of the SECs, or even Michigan for that matter, to Arizona, as everyone knew UCF wasn’t going back to the Peach. He also said Florida wouldn’t accept UCF outselling them for tickets, hence why Florida went to the Peach, instead of the Fiesta – even though LSU and Michigan had never played each other, and Florida and Michigan had played too much.

Hence why no one will play UCF on a neutral field right now … unless all the money goes to them, even if UCF outsells. UCF’s pre-sales on bowls is unreal as well, better than the P5s it’s played each time.

3 Likes

Pretty sure there is an NCAA rule limiting the number of home games you can play in a season. So it doesn’t surprise me that Bama would rather do a 2 for 1 with a G5 they expect to beat on the road than doing a 1 for 1 with a P5 they feel has a better chance of winning their home game.

There is a max potential of 8 home games due to splitting conference games. I know A&M has been at 8 home games before and I would assume others have too.

Alabama tends to do a neutral site game every year and I’m guessing the USF away game will replace that one year.

1 Like

Do you have a link to that? I’m looking through every blue blood schedule, going back many years and not seeing a single time where any has hosted 8 games on their home turf. Home turf being in the literal sense of 8 games being on the same exact field. Not including games like Houston hosting a game in Reliant, UT in the Alamodome or LSU in the Superdome.

So far the only rule I can find is that FBS teams must schedule 5 home games and one of them can be a neutral site location.

“Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football
Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home
contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.9.2]”

If 8 home games can be scheduled, it does surprise me that blue bloods aren’t doing this every other year.

1 Like

You might have been on the hunt before my edit when I conceded that there was no rule on maximum home games I could find. Finding one example would have been enough though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, I thought I remembered LSU doing it too so I looked it up.

I think one of those was forfeited by the NCAA for violations right? I think the one where Keenum almost led that game winning drive that ended up being a tipped pass into the end zone?
If that is in fact the case, then I guess we are technically 1-7* against them :sunglasses:

2 Likes