Alamodome/UTSA parking, tailgating, etc

Hello y’all,

My name is John, I’m a UTSA Roadrunner and website moderator at RowdyTalk.com (UTSA fan site)

We’re looking forward to this game and breaking the 1-1 tie.

I’m sure many of y’all made it to the Alamodome that last time we played each other there so you have a general idea of how things work.

But, if any of y’all still have questions about parking, transportation, tailgating and etc, please let me know. I’ll try and answer the questions the best that I can.

Run 'Em!

6 Likes

Parking spots in the Alamodome lots are general only available for purchase by season ticket holders and athletic donors.

Parking passes can sometimes be found on websites like Craigslist. Prices can be around $30-100.

There are a lot of “private” lots around the Alamodome that are popular. Prices run $10-20. I’ve never heard of anybody having an issue parking in these.

There are multiple city and privately owned parking lots around downtown. It’s not too bad a walk to the Dome or an inexpensive ride share.

Another option is the local bus service, VIA. There are park/ride areas around town that they will pick you up at and take you to the Dome. Usually around $2.50 one way. UTSA Athletics - Official Athletics Website

2 Likes

Uber.

1 Like

New Clear Bag Policy

The Alamodome recently started a new clear bag policy. (Similar to other stadiums. The Aggies have this policy.)

"To provide a safer environment for the public and in order to expedite fan entry into the Alamodome, we have implemented a Clear Bag Policy (very similar to the NFL Clear Bag policy) that limits the size & type of bags that may be brought into the Alamodome. The new Clear Bag Policy will take effect June 10, 2017.

Prior to your next visit to the Alamodome please familiarize yourself with the four types of bags that will be allowed into the facility. Without exception, *ALL BAGS will be screened prior to event entry including Medically Necessary and Diaper Bags. ALL BAGS that do not meet the Clear Bag Policy specifications, must be returned to your vehicle or discarded. Please refer to the FAQ section below for more information or download the PDF flyer to print."

1 Like

Tailgating

The most convenient tailgating location is in the Alamodome parking lots. But like mentioned above, the issue is getting parking passes if you’re not a season ticket holder.

Some of the private lots around the Alamodome allow tailgating. I don’t have a lot of information on those areas. They’re owned by private individuals and they make their own rules.

If you’re able to get a hold of an Alamodome parking pass here are a few things go know:

A parking pass is only good for ONE parking spot. It’s open parking.

If you’re going to have a grill, make sure you have a fire extinguisher.

The Alamodome parking lots have port-a-potties and a police presence.

There are three Alamodome parking lots, A, B and C. Lots B & C are the major tailgate areas.

More detailed info can be found at the bottom of this webpage: Alamodome Parking/Tailgating Information - UTSA Athletics

1 Like

Thanks for the offer of information. My wife and I are going to the game. I’ve been on the VIA site without much luck but did click on the UTSA link and found what I needed.

My wife and I were both in basic training at Lackland in the mid-`70’s (good times…good times). I remember a day of liberty on the ‘new’ River Walk. Has it changed much?

1 Like

I live in San Antonio. I ride the VIA from Crossroads mall on the SW corner of the I-10 and I-410 intersection. See the link here to see where the Park and Ride is…

I imagine the Riverwalk has probably changed quite a bit since the 70’s. I’ve only been in SA since 2001 and there have been a few changes. Mostly, different restaurants and a new hotel or two.

The biggest change is the “North Reach” part of the Riverwalk that reaches all the way to the old Pearl Brewery. (Which is now a fantastic destination with restaurants, shops, bars, hotel, apartments etc.)

John, give us your two recommendations for lodging near the stadium. 1) budget and 1) for burning money. And are either walking distance?

Good questions. I’ll get back to you when I have a little more time to gather info on budget stays.

But, off-hand, anywhere along the Riverwalk is a good place for “burning money” and is not an unreasonable walk to the Alamodome. (Uber does a great job around town.)

Another great place to stay/hangout/spend money is the new Pearl Brewery Complex. (not easy walking distance) http://atpearl.com/

1 Like

I didn’t find anything reasonably close that I would consider “budget” but there are a few hotel with a couple blocks North of the Alamodome that I think are reasonable priced.

A room for Sept 1&2 at the Staybridge Suites is about $131 right now. That’s pretty good considering it’s a suit and super close to the 'Dome.

There’s a Best Western and Holiday Inn nearby that have rooms for around $150.

UHAA has put up their info regarding the UTSA trip:

HOTEL ACCOMODATIONS TWO OPTIONS

The Emily Morgan Hotel
705 East Houston St
San Antonio, TX 78205
Special UHAA rate of $157/night for king or double. Rate valid until August 2

Homewood Suites San Antonio Northwest
4323 Spectrum One
San Antonio, TX 78230
UHAA Special Rate of $109/night for King and Double Rooms (up to 6 people). Rate includes breakfast buffet and complimentary parking. Rate valid until July 31, 2017

FRIDAY NIGHT RECEPTION
SEPTEMBER 1

Alamo Beer Company
202 Lamar St.
San Antonio, TX 78202

5pm-7pm
FREE to attend
Live music, yard games, giveaways!

TAILGATE
SEPTEMBER 2
We’ll be tailgating directly in front of the Alamodome, outside of the beautiful UH Hilton – San Antonio Campus in Sunset Station!

3:00pm-5:30pm
$25 per person
$5 – 12 and under

Includes food, beer, and festivities!

UH Hilton – San Antonio
122 Heiman St.
San Antonio, TX 78205