All time UH basketball trivia question

Who did UH play the game before the Game of the Century with UCLA and who did they play the game after UCLA?

1 Like

I would say the same lineup.

They played Fairfield the game after bec Pete Gillum mentioned it last night on the broadcast n gave a plug to Delmar Fieldhouse. I always tell people I saw Big E play at Delmar n they be like huh!!.

2 Likes

We played West Texas A&M before the UCLA game. UH won 98-53. UH ranking #2.

We played Lamar after the UCLA game. UH won 112-79. UH ranking #1.

Fairfield followed Lamar on the schedule.

4 Likes

Well Gillum was close, he’s old like me. I could have looked it up but figure he was right about gm after.

That West Texas State game on Jan. 13, 1968, was the first Cougar basketball game I saw in person. I remember Guy started off in a full court press, and the Coogs were up something like 12 to 0 before the Buffaloes ever got it across mid court. As a kid, it seemed like Don Chaney and George Reynolds’ arms stretched from one side to the other side of the court at old Delmar Fieldhouse, and West Texas State couldn’t get a ball past them.

4 Likes

Good stuff, great memories. My first gm I attended was that season against Century, I was 9. Early Jan I think.

I have that same recollection that Don Chaney (the Duck) had fingers that seemed 12 inches long. As I recall he was the first one I ever saw dribble behind his back and to pass it behind his back. It was a big deal back in the day and so was the dunk. Things have changed.