Allen vs Postma

First, it’s safe to say Tech’s defense wasn’t playing the same against Postma the final drive that it was playing against Allen when the score was 13-10.

That being said, our offensive scheme is very bland our offensive line is only good at playing against defenses their size (not really a knock on them). Allen is a pocket passer plain and simple. If he remained the starter the rest of the season, he probably has good games in 6 of the 8 games. Good enough for a winning season and a bowl invite, but not good enough to contend for a conference championship.

Postma on the other hand, has a good arm and great legs. He can make mistakes reading defenses but he can also make plays when nothing is working. He has the potential to win all the conference games. Two things would go against Postma though. One can he stay healthy and two, is there any defensive coaches on our schedule that know how to mix up coverages? The first is unpredictable and the second I truly can’t name a single defensive coordinator in the conference to answer that.

Added note, if Postma becomes the starter, King and Allen need to share backup duties. King comes in if Postma gets hurt and Allen comes in if Postma is struggling with the passing game.

2 Likes

From what I heard about camp from someone close to the program, King was far and away the best QB and they were close to going with him as the starter until his injury happened. Postma and Allen have basically been neck and neck and they went with Allen hoping for the best.

I don’t see them benching Allen, but I’d like to see two, or even all three guys, get reps against Temple. CMA has been griping about the offense during the week’s leading to the games so I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes in a direction like that.

5 Likes

That would explain why the late, late decision. That would also explain why King played quite a few different plays. Now even though Postma brought some momentum we might see a battle this week between the three QB. This is never good at this stage but at least it will fire up the entire offense.

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/911689746258300929

It is now an open competition…and it should always be that way.

2 Likes

Here is my biggest concern. If he sticks with Allen, we still beat Temple easily which means he starts against SMU. If he struggles, whether we pull it out or not, now looking at Postma or King getting in a game at Tulsa under their belt before having to play against Memphis and USF back to back. No time for adjustments or building confidence.

If Allen is still the starter, we are looking at two more losses minimum, even with a QB change later.

4 Likes

Postma MUST be the starter. He has worked in this system for years. He has performed under pressure (Memphis), and can run the ball. With Allen there is no read option. It is just everyone converge on the RB. It gives the D one extra man against this O. If it were Air Raid, then fine, Allen is your man…but it’s not.

Postma made it look sooooooo easy. Allen made it look so hard.

Add in KA continues to be a turnover machine another 2 Ints and a fumble) and you know a change needs to be made.

We had 233 yards of O going into the 4th. Postma almost equal led that.

Lastly, TT has a horrible D. Even the TT fans around said it. But our Allen run O made them look super. When Postma came in they thought, “Ohhhhh, sheeeeeet”!

Give The right QB the chance to play.

2 Likes

Postma has 52 yards rushing, rest of team 58

Temple no matter what should be a measuring stick game at the QB position. Meaning the playbook is opened up and the game plan is to get as many offensive drives as possible.

Only then you will be able to see how either player can handle the passing duties for the last 7 games. Whoever you start tell them it’s their position to lose, with no reigns in fears of TOs or getting a running game up.

Temple’s defense is ranked 87th in opposition’s QB rating. I’d consider them more of a scrimmage than a measuring stick for whoever starts. Allen would probably do another 80%+ passing game against them but doesn’t mean he is ready for Memphis and USF.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Postma is the answer, but here’s a fun debate question… is this situation similar to the Chris Simms/Major Applewhite debate?

Are Simms/Allen the highly decorated recruits with all of the measurables given every chance to succeed? Applewhite/Postma are the guys who have been here and had some success, but kept off the field?

1 Like

I made that comparison in August when people said there was no chance Postma would start and Applewhite not deciding on a starter was just a “strategy.”

You remind me of how I felt during the spring game. What’s worse is how Allen looks the same now than when he played in the spring game.

Why hasn’t there been an improvement in his play? I can’t believe King and Postma are worse.

1 Like

Allen reminds me of O’Korn would like to see King get a chance. He was tremendous in high school alot like Ward.

Ive seen enough of Allen for now.

Postma or King

3 Likes

Allen and this O = Square Peg into Round Hole

5 Likes

I think some people feel like Allen deserves more of a chance because he transferred from A&M to be a starter here. The thing is, Postma transferred here and King was told he would be given a shot. Both of them have played wherever they have been asked to play and neither has complained. That was acceptable because at the time Ward was the best man for the job. Allen got his chance and in two out of three games, he was not good. It’s not acceptable anymore to keep giving Allen chances to improve on the field with Postma and King waiting in the wings. One of those two should start and the other should backup. If they can’t do better than Allen, then that is a good sign that it’s time to find a new play book.

1 Like

Allen reminds me of O’Korn as well.

1 Like

Against Rice Allen looked great and Postma showed little. TT passing defense appeared to be better prepared against us. They intercepted the pass up the middle which was one of Allen’s must success plays against Rice. It does not appear that Allen looks at the field when he throws the ball. The defender was clearly in position to intercept the ball in the first interception. Allen also threw across his body into highly defended coverage on the interception near the goal line. He finally pulled back a pass late in the game that would have probably resulted in another interception. I just wish he attempted to run a few…ala Ward and Postma. I would have liked to see Postma start the second half and give TT a different view and maybe keep our defense off the field a little longer.

Postma was 60% and averaged 9 yards per attempt. Also had 6 yards rushing as opposed to Allen’s negative 11. How much can a QB show at the end of a game, with the third string back, second string offensive line and receivers and a 38 point lead on just 5 attempts passing? You might not have noticed but Postma’s passes in the Rice game were to Lark and McLemore, their only appearance in three games.

1 Like